Please post photos of your Guinea Pig Cages/Homes

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:55 am

My cage is pretty boring too- no second level, just a regular 6x3.

ParanoidEv

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:02 am

I started out with one of those 'bin' cages as a temporary cage, in my search for grids. A few months later I found some and made a 2x3 C&C with vinyl flooring. Later on I added an extra floor, extended the cage, and ended up with this:
*click*
http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/i/7NP0F7Q1461B
a 2x4.
Later I added my big boar Harry, and he couldn't figure out the ramp. I removed the ramp and made a 2x5. Now I'm fed up with stinky fleece and my boyfriend made me another cage out of wood & vinyl, about 2x4 grids. When I'm moving out, we will build a freaking big cage so I'm able to give my pigs & my future pigs all the space they would ever need.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:16 pm

LER...how do you attach them so that they're secure? And what do you have underneath the upper level between the grids and the fleece? I can see where my pigs would enjoy something like that.

Debra

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:36 pm

SuzieQ, I have a question for you (and others) we also use shavings.

My daughter (who has to clean the cage) is so frustrated with shavings all over the floor. I was thinking about going to fleece, but the thought of changing it more often doesn't do much for us. I also fear the smell issue.

Do you just deal with the shaving issue and clean it up and carry on....or is there a secret when changing the bedding? I just raised the C&C cage off of the ground onto a table and made one of the grids drop down, so we can try scooping into the trash...we'll find out how that does later in the week when we change litter.

I can't justify the cost of the yesterdays news and the like. The shavings are really the most cost effective for us.

Also, the urine marks the coraplast bottom and it is hard to get clean... I have just started adding rubber bath mats to the bottom of the cage (under the shavings). This seems to be buying us add'l use out the the flooring....

My daughter is so frustrated. She wanted to go to a rubbermade container that she would keep the piggies in (as a fulltime cage) so the entire container could be carried outside, dumped, cleaned and refilled. Granted this is smaller and can do the above...but I couldn't allow her to do it. I could not even handle them in the rubbermade while I was making the C&C cage from a 2x3 into a 2x4. It was abusive!

Mind you the piggies are my daughters (she is 17) and I have become obsessive over them.

Thanks for any input!

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:40 pm

How thick a layer of shavings are you using? Are you using a diluted vinegar solution to wipe the Coroplast when you clean the cage?

We use an extra-wide, large dustpan to scoop out shavings into an extra-wide, large garbage can. Works a treat.

Debra

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:45 pm

I would guess about 2+ inches (now). In the past we were not using enough. Maybe 1" or so...

I will try the extra-wide pan w/extra wide garbage... We have only had them for less than 6 months. So, it is still in the trial and error stage!

No, I have never used the diluted vinegar. Does it work well? How about the smell in the room?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:53 pm

Mine is (shame on me) a pet store cage with a ramp, BUT the piggers are free range from get-up time till bedtime. There isn't a wide enough bit of floor space in my flat for a c&c cage.

Think of the c&c cages as luxury hotel accommodation ranging from 1 to 5 stars depending on size and range of facilities.

My pigs live in a Bed & Breakfast guest house with evening meal. Small, but clean and comfortable with adequate outlook into the bedroom. 'Coffee and tea making' facilities and en suite. Food is good fresh homecooking and made with only quality, fresh ingredients. Limited onsite facilities but free access to open play areas with additional services and snack bars. :·)

Debra

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:04 pm

I am not against the smaller cages...esp for ease of cleaning. However floor time is not a huge option for us.

We have 3 dogs. Dog #1 thinks the piggies are her babies. She would cuddle them if we let her. She loves to LICK them and hovers over them... Dog #2 is GREAT and could care less if they were free range or in a cage or out... Dog #3 is CRAZY and I wouldn't trust him with a ten foot pole around the pigs. Well, he is around to say "Hi" when I feed. But I would NEVER trust him alone (or even with some free time) near the pigs!

My daughter insisted if she were allowed to have a smaller cage, she would let them run every night when we walked the dogs. But, reality is she is a child (woman child) and I can already hear the reasons why it didn't get done that day.

Webs, thanks for your analogy of the C&C cage! I guess because of the lack of floor time, I really feel that they should have the large cage.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Nothing less than 5 star, all-inclusive luxury then, with spa and gym facilities!

I have no other animals which does help. :·)

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:11 pm

just a regular 6x3
Very funny, SuzieQ. Nothin' regular about a 6 x 3!

crazycheryl

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:48 pm

The vinegar solution smell dissipates quickly. That's not an issue for us. We also use aspen but we put a thick layer of newspaper underneath that to help absorb the pee.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:00 pm

I actually soak paper towels in full-strength vinegar about once a month and lay them on the bad spots in the cage. I let them soak 1/2 hour or so, then use a brillo pad and all the brown comes off. The coroplast is really tough - it holds up even with vigorous scrubbing with the brillo pad. Also, I am obsessive about scooping out wet chips at least once daily, which helps keep brown spots from forming on the coroplast. The vinegar smell goes away quickly. I just wet-wipe the cage afterwards and dry it really well before putting new chips in. I just built a new cage since I added Apples, but it's superbly boring compared to all these others. Just a 4x2 with a loft.