Please post photos of your Guinea Pig Cages/Homes

Debra

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:21 pm

What great pictures!
SusieQ...I am sorry I didn't spell your name correct! Not intentional!

I love all the photos!!!!!

glambunn

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:58 pm

Here's the cage I made for my boys (last year). I've added a few more squares to the top of the cage so they feel more secure and my "potties" in the corners are now much nicer too - not that they use them much.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:11 pm

Where is the humongous hay pile?

glambunn

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:30 pm

I threw it in a few minutes later. I wanted to get a picture of the cage right when i put them in.

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:04 pm

Here is Daisy and Peach's cage. It's a 3X6. We got a little out of control and just kept building it bigger and bigger! It takes up half our family room in our tiny apartment, but it's so fun watching them run laps and popcorn...much more entertaining than TV :-)

Tricia

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 pm

This is my cage. It's not very exciting. I made it as big has I could in the space that I have. It's 3x4 cubes.

http://homepage.mac.com/sourtrish/PhotoAlbum8.html

There is also a link at the top to a movie I put together the first day I got a digital camera. It's not good, but it does show you their house.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:30 pm

mmeadow - The girls definitely like the split level. I hear them leaping up and down it every morning. I brought it down one square in the grid, so now it's resting right on the coroplast bottom of the first level. It helps make the bottom of the second level a little more stable, and its less of a leap, although they vault it with ease.

glambunn - love the beware of guinea pig sign!

diodora

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 pm

Pooksied,
My setup is very similar to yours with lofts on both sides. Hammie loves to leap up there, he spends about 90% of his time up there, he's just not the hidey-hole type. He likes to constantly be checking things out.

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:15 pm

It's so funny how different pigs like different things. My husband and I tried doing a second level, and the girls just did not like it! I think they were afraid of it. After a few days, they still would not go up it or down it on their own...even with a little trail of their favorite veggie going up/down the ramp. We would plop them upstairs, and that's where they'd stay...plop them downstairs, and that's where they'd stay. Too funny!

pookee

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:01 am

Sally and Penny didn't use the second level until I put their pellets up there. Food is a big motivator... so is the hay loft and oversized bathroom (right hand side) - it wasn't planned to be an oversized carefresh bathroom, but they seemed to prefer to do their business up there so I accomodated.

They also have a hay rack/litter box combination on the bottom left side, and two houses on the right-bottom.

With this setup, they are slowly learning that it's much better to go to the bathroom on carefresh rather than on the fleece. Amazingly, we've got it to the point where I do daily spot pickups and only need to do a thorough clean with vinegar/water and new fleece every 8-9 days (no kidding!!).

I used to put newspaper and carefresh in their litter boxes, but I found that the exposed newspaper is what amplifies the smell (no idea why!!). I put newspaper underneath the fleece, and fold it under to prevent them from lifting it up. I used to attach the fleece to the walls with velcro, but they LOVED to riiiiiiipppppp it back.

They get a lot of exercise running up and down the ramp at full speed, and getting hay out of the rack (they have to go on their back legs to get the "good/new stuff"). Of course, the main floor is their safety zone - they always run there when they hear a strange noise.

I'm continually making "improvements" as they request it (i.e. as they start pooping/peeing somewhere new), so it's an evolving home for them. Hope this helps you.

WillowTree

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 am

Cute pookee. I love the leopard print, and the ramp looks fun.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 am

That's a great setup, pookee. I love the print too!