Petting Pigs

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:47 am

How do you think guinea pigs like to be handled? Do they like to be petted? Scratched? Scrubbed?

I have one pig that doesn´t really like to be touched much. The other two seem to like back petting and sometimes I do little scratches/scrubs down their backbone to the tail bone. Nina stretches out her body and lifts her nose and sometimes her back legs push out. Kitten seems to like it too. And sometimes Nina seems to appreciate rubbing on the side of their jaw.

I am assuming that if the pig does not run away, shriek or bite you, they are enjoying it somehow.

Is there anything you do to your pigs you are pretty sure they really like (besides feed them)?

Jill

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:02 am

The only thing I´m certain of is the Piggie likes to be scratched under her chin. She doesn´t run away, and even lifts up her chin so I can reach better. Then again, maybe she is just toying with me.....

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:35 pm

As if they could be any more manipulative -- making us enjoy our position as slaves --

pigpal

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:35 pm

My Peruvians hate to be stroked from head to tail! They prefer the opposite direction as that´s the way their hair grows.

My snuggly pig, William loves to have his face stroked. Especially over the eyes and in front of the ears. He gets very relaxed, stretches out his back legs and falls asleep on my lap, with his eyes closed.

mon

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:40 pm

My Bella is the only one that really enjoys having under her chin stroked. She gives me little licks which i interpret to say, thanks.

Magenta likes it when i pet her from head to butt, she let´s out a little purr.

The boys seem to be pretty indifferent. They don´t not like it, but they don´t make it obvious that they really enjoy it.

Alibabble

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:34 am

Sweetheart will let me do anything. He´s extremely passive, doesn´t even get upset if I flip him on his back and pet his buddha belly. I actually spent a year trying to figure out what he does and doesn´t like, the conlcusion: he either likes everything or hates everything, I´m still not sure.

Gavin enjoys having the top of his head rubbed, as well as massaging motions down his entire back. He purrs almost the instant you touch him, he´s just a cuddler. He also gives kisses as thank yous if you do something especially nice for him (such as rub his back for fifteen or so minutes).

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:47 am

Max used to prefer a good scritch/massage and his chin scratched, too. I think a lot of it had to do with the whacked out abby hair.

My smooth boys don´t appreciate it when I muss up their crests, but otherwise like being pet in the direction of their hair. They flatten out, which I think is funny. Bf says "who deboned the pig?"

Steve especially finds ear massages calming.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:04 am

My pigs would rather I hurried up and got over with it so they could have their treat.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:20 pm

Wuzzy loves to be petted. He will keep nudging me until I rub his head. I think he would sit there for hours and let me do this, which amazes me since none of my other pigs liked to have their nose or the top of their head touched. He sometimes even turns over on his side and lets me rub his side and belly. He will just purr and purr! I think he has it pretty good. I know I would love to have my own personal masseuse!
Last edited by Stacy on Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladyveg

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:28 pm

I´ve got a couple that really like to be rubbed under the chin. They´ll stand still and put their heads up so that I can reach them better.

The one thing I do that all the pigs I have petted seem to like is to rub the bald patches behind their ears. I put my thumb behind one ear and my index finger behind the other ear and just rub that little area behind the ears. All my pigs will put up with that.

Other than that, they are all different. My cresteds seem to dislike having the crest messed up. Most like their head rubbed, some like the top of their noses rubbed, some like their sides petted and even a few don´t mind being petted on the butt. But behind the ears is good for all of them.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:32 pm

I tried the rubbing behind the ears trick. Do you kind of swirly rub or do a three fingered, pointy headed kinda rub? Both ears at once, right? I think they were confused. Maybe it´s the jackhammer factor.

ladyveg

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:57 pm

Well, when I do it, there´s no jackhammer involved, so you may be doing it wrong. I guess the three-fingered pointy-headed way sounds right. I have the thumb behind one ear and my index finger behind the other, and I kind of gently rub/pinch my fingers toward each other as if they were to meet in the middle of the pig´s head, only I keep them on the bald spots. I´m making it sound like an exact science. I just rub the ears! I don´t know. But even shelter pigs, being picked up by me for the first time, settle down and seem to enjoy it when I do that.

And I´ve seen people hold guinea pigs in their arms horizontally in their arms, kind of like a football. I always hold them vertically, chest to chest, in other words, between my breasts (yes, there´s plenty of space there) with their head a little higher than my sternum, at eye contact distance. I keep one hand under the rump and the other over the pig´s shoulders--and I´m always rubbing behind their ears!
Last edited by ladyveg on Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:50 pm

I missed out on this conversation and just want to add that Spot loves to be pet from head to butt, and gives a loud purr when I do this. Lynx, I´m so sorry you´ve never heard a purr, it´s the most wonderful thing! One of the few ways you can tell when your pig is happy (that and popcorning).

Spot gets so comfy, he forgets about gravity. Once, I had him on my chest and he assumed my arm was somewhere it wasn´t, and he rolled over, over, and over and nearly fell off the couch (saved by my quick reflexes).

JustAnotherGPSlave

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:14 pm

Bailey LOVES to be scrunched all the way to his piggie behind :D (scrunching is sort of like what a person does when they scrunch their hair to make it curly) He purrs so much when I do this. I do it gently so I guess it feels like a mini massage.
Bella likes to be massaged behind the ears, but thats pretty much it.
Chewy LOVES his ears to be played with (tickled). I use one finger and make upward and circular motions like I was another pig "licking" his ears and he just starts to get a faraway look in his eyes and then he closes them like hes in a trance. He also flattens out and purrs when I scratch his back.
Sad to say, Betsy and Blitz dont like to be touched :( but that doesnt stop me from trying different things. One of these days I will get through to one of them. I am at least making a little progress with Betsy since she seems to enjoy for me to "lick" her ears with one of my fingers (which is what Chewy enjoys also).
I giggle everytime I hear any new sounds from them. They are SO adorable!
Gotta LOVE those pigs!!! :D

Shana

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:03 am

I have one pig who just doesn´t like to be pet either. She has been treated with ivermectin so I know it isn´t mites. Have you ever treated Betsy and Blitz with ivermectin? It´s a longshot, but sometimes they are actually uncomfortable because of parasites.

Cara

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:18 am

My four pool girls (They live in a kiddie swimming pool.) don´t like human contact. They are much happier left to themselves. They will tolerate being petted but it´s just not worth it most of the time! The rest of my pigs LOVE to have their jaw line massaged, turns them to putty.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:56 am

I tried the under chin petting and my pigs thought I was trying to give them a treat and kept nibbling my fingers. I don´t think they "get it"

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:04 am

I carry my boys like a football, LV. Julius is especially nervous and seems to prefer to be horizontal. But when I watch TV or am otherwise stable, they like to sit on my shoulder or crawl up to my chin.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:29 am

CUTE!! Furry little footballs.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:22 pm

I´ve been using the football hold. But I´m always afraid Fido (he´s the hyperactive one) will leap from my arms when I don´t have a grip on him. I feel more secure holding him against my chest. I think he likes the football hold, I just don´t trust him. Spot however, is no problem. Football hold is great for him -- Makes me feel like a quarterback (although my arms are almost too small to hold him securely, he kind of hangs over the sides... did I mention Spot was chubby? 3 lbs. as confirmed by the vet today).

20 posts • Page 1 of 1