Fleece Comparisons

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:40 pm

Mine only sticks if its really ground down to dust, or has been peed on and made fossil layers.

tbull78

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:54 pm

Whittibo, on the regular/standard fleece my hay sticks as well but it doesn't seem to on the berber. I bought some and made a cage "sectional" in an unmolded u shape. That way when I put it in the cage three sides of it will be cuddly and one side will be open. Can you confirm what I think is Berber Windespirit??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:09 pm

I must say, I think it needs more washing. The poops were not thoroughly dry today -- meaning the water was sitting on top for a while. Hoping this works out though -- because I really need to have some different pads to switch out.

whittibo

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:25 pm

tbull, I have one store bought cozy that's made out of that stuff you have on the inside, and it doesn't seem like things stick to it. Mind you, my pigs don't eat their hay in their beds. LOL

I might try to find some of that and give it a try. I hate wet towels, it worries me that they will get UTI's from sitting in their pee all the time.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:07 am

tbull78 - it is hard to tell Berber and Shepra apart, unless you really know what you are looking for while holding them, it's not always easy. Some manufactures make them so alike each other it's difficult for anyone. But I'm going to say it's shepra though.

Reason #1- it looks to be a cream color. You'd have paid about equal to 2 neuterings if you got a U shape cage with berber this color covering, even 3/4 of cage.
#2- it is becoming so hard to find berber in stores it was a small blessing if you found it in the past 2 years. (unless a specialty shop of course).
#3- Shepra is becoming the standard replacement of berber and therefor more readily found. A true Shepra I've been finding is reguraly priced between 15-23$ per yard. (berber is more).
#4- alot of manufactures are making knock off shepra's, some can be found at wal-mart between 4-12$ per yard. (you can tell the difference if you use them side by side. you get what you pay for).

Those are my opinions and findings anyhow. I'm sure it's limited as there is a whole world/net to scavange and find :)

Lynx - sometimes depending on the die that was used, reds tend to have some chemicals in them that soak into the fabrics that make them repellent more then other colors, with exceptions to darker like navy blue or indigos. If you see after the second time use not doing what you hope, try soaking it for 30 minutes in a a load by it's self with 1/8 - 1/4 cup vinegar. It might help to break down that chemical a bit more :)

BL - you bring up another thought on the comparisons. I know you use those wal-mart pet liner things right. I remember telling ya not to shake to hard or fear a shower :)
Anyhow, this does bring another view in helping to know what people have material wise. Shepra's used in hay areas will do as she stated "sticks if it's ground down to dust", where as all the berbers I know of shake out readily as the material is not as dense in it's fibers.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:25 am

Whittibo - with your cage size (not a c&c) you could probably get away with trying the one BL and I both have. It can be found at wally world for about $8.00 in the pet section. It is only a liner, you'll still need some towels under. But it comes here just a simple cardboard peice around it, not even completely covering it, it has a picture of a dog on and it stays for in cages as a liner and it's micro-something or another.
Stuff is easy to vacuum for the ground in things during spif ups or before wash. It's a type of Shepra though :)

pig mom

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:51 pm

This may be an odd question, but when you wash the fleece multiple times to make the pee soak through it faster, do you have to dry it between washings? Or can you just leave it in the washer for several cycles?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 pm

Ummm.. I would think the washing was the part that does all the breaking down of the waterproofing so just washes = but honestly, I do not know.

Anyone else?

K-Jun104

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:08 pm

I don't know much about fleece, I just use them and wash them.
I did read somewhere some time ago that fabric softener makes fabric less absorbent of water. Since pee has to go through the fabric, I don't use softener or dryer sheets on any of the girls stuff.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Whitti, do you have a Savemart store near you? They have nice fleece blankets that they are temporarily selling 2 for $10.00. I have found they fit perfectly ( folded in half ) in a 2x3 c+c cage. They look almost micro fleece to me.

I don't reccomend shaking the hay off of blankets if they are very pee-y. I did that in a stiff wind last week, and really resented it for obvious reasons.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:46 pm

Good question about the washing. I always wash and dry mine 3 times before using. I suppose I think the heat from the dryer may help break down the waterproofing, but I could be wildly wrong! And I use detergent and vinegar to help the process along.

-ly-

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:53 pm

Ly, is there any way you can send me a little 1" square?
This one is going to drive me bonkers.
Sorry I didn't see your question before WS. Email me your address and I will send you a small sample in the mail.