wheat grass?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 pm

Liquid kelp fertilizer Mum? Please don't say it's found in a health food place, that's in the city.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Nope, it got it online from the place I ordered the seeds, trays, and vermiculite!

http://www.sproutpeople.com/index.html

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Great link, Thanks!

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Okay, I was a good girl and didn't start a new thread, although maybe I should have. I have continued to buy Teddy's wheat grass from Whole foods, and really it's such a trek that I really must start growing.

Mum, I see that you grow in vermiculite with kelp. Does that work really well for you? How much do you manage to grow from the kit you ordered?

I found this site:

http://www.wheatgrassman.com/site/15385 ... 37-6774194

which appears a little cheaper although the shipping is still crippling.

I also found this site which discusses the growing of wheatgrass outside as opposed to indoor growing, arguing that indoor growing is conducive to mold and causes nausea, headaches and hives.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/wheatgrass.html

If you click the link below you can read about that and a rebuttal from an indoor grower. Also if you click on the Evergreenjuices link you can see how they grow their wheatgrass.

I want to grow the best grass for Teddy.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:13 pm

Do you ever get the cut wheat grass at Whole Foods? I think my girls are addicted to it. If I put out a salad with that in it, they'll root past the other greens until they've found every blade.

whittibo

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:28 pm

I buy a flat of wheat grass at the health food store, but if we don't use it fast enough it can go to waste pretty quickly. I do leave the flat outside when the weather is nice.

I just clicked on your link and was going to order a kit but they don't ship to California. *boo hoo*

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm still working off the original kit I ordered. I love the vermiculite and the kelp. I have no mold problems - although our humidity is really low here - and it grows very quickly and beautifully from seed to full grass in about a week.

whittibo

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:20 pm

Mum, where did you get your kit?? That first place won't ship to California. :(

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:55 pm

Huh? I ordered it from a place in San Francisco - was that not it?

I'm sure it was that place - that's teh leaflet I have on my fridge!

whittibo

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:29 pm

The first link that slfalzone posted goes to Dogwood gardens.. says "We cannot ship soil products into California" and I assume since the kit has soil products in it, that it won't be able to be shipped.

BUT!! Momo has been nice enough to email me about this, apparently I have what I need right here in my freezer. I bought Wheatberries, it's just seeds?! I don't know for sure that it's the same, but I am going to try to grow some! :)

I bought it for bread making, I just thought it was something different. It might not work because it's been frozen, but if it doesn't work, I'll go buy more at "Noah's Ark".

whittibo

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:31 pm

DUH! I am an idiot! Never mind me Mum. I started reading at Slfalzone's post, didn't even see the link you posted. Just slap me now.. It's ok!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:31 pm

No, mine was the sproutpeople link!

You can't ship soil to california, so some kits can't be shipped. Mine is in California already, and uses vermiculite instead of soil.