We are devastated

etplante

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 pm

I'm so sorry SMS, that is terrible news.

totoro33
Supporter in '06

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:50 pm

Wow, I had no idea that bananas could be that deadly. I hope your daughter finds a way not to blame herself. Best wishes to your poor family.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 pm

All acceptable foods in moderation. I don't think the small bits some of us feed are a problem. Sounds like there is a strong enough possiblity the banana was partly to blame to warn against over feeding any fruits. They have lots of natural sugars and aren't the best food for a guinea pig anyway.

Elly

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:30 am

I'm very sorry for what you are going through. It's such a terrible and tragic accident.

I'm sorry to say that it is very much likely the banana that did it. I never feed my GPs banana or other similar fruits/veggies because I personally feel the risk is too great.

I know many people do feed items like banana in moderation and everything is fine. Most of the time it is fine.

Unfortunately I have seen a few too many cases of drastic and sudden constipation caused by bananas (or some other types of foods). At the best the constipation clears up after some discomfort. At the worst it can be aggrivated by gas and cause bloat/torsion and death.

I do not blame you for what happened and you should not blame yourself. Your daughter should absolutely not feel guilty. These horrible things happen and you had no idea that a treat given with love could cause such devistation and heartbreak.

Hugs to you and your daughter. I also hope you feel better soon (from your surgery).

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:35 am

How very, very sad! I am so sorry for you and your family.

My best wishes to you as you recover from your surgery.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:43 am

I'm sorry, Saggy Milksacks.

rachelm

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:58 am

Oh my this is obviously so distressing for you. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care.

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:38 am

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your pigs. It is a tragic event, and I'm sure it's very difficult trying to console your daughter as you also grieve for your pigs.

Regarding the amount of banana...bananas are known for their potassium content. Large amounts of potassium injected at one time will cause muscular disturbances, including heart arhythmias. I have no idea what quantity of bannana would have enough potassium to cause such an effect in a guinea pig, or whether ingestion of food-sourced potassium could cause such problems at all. I have to wonder whether potassium ingested into the gut might cause muscle spasms in the intestines that lead to acute bloating, or if perhaps it might lead directly to a heart arhythmia and cardiac arrest.

I am purely speculating on this, I am not a vet (and it's been years since my bio classes that covered cellular level potassium response).

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:53 am

I'm sorry. I have heard of this happening to rabbits. How is the remaining piggie doing?

Take some time and grieve as needed. When you are ready, adopt from a local rescue or shelter in their honor.

Cavies-and-Kids

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:54 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how bad your daughter feels! I think though that it is a good idea to get more pigs, I think by not getting more, it sends her a message that she is not trusted with more, or does not deserve a second chance! Children often blame themselves for bad things happening, she is probably feeling very very guilty about this, if you tell her no more, it will probably really eat away at her!

However, that being said, I think you do need to make it very clear to her that you are the one that decides the menu, and then perhaps twice a day, you can have her deliver it to the pig. Or, you could prepare it in advance and leave it in a container in the fridge, either all at once or in several trips. Then she has the freedom to feed the pigs treats and snacks, but everyone knows they are in safe rationed proportions!

saggymilksacks

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:22 am

The amount of banana given to the pigs was one large entire banana, split between the 2 pigs. If I were home, I wouldn't have given it to them, but my family just didn't know. Now I can't even look at the damn bananas, no less EAT one. You are right C and K, my kids normally are not allowed to feed the pigs on their own. My husband was supervising, and I guess I just didn't stress enough in the past that fruits were given in very small moderation.

I really have never seen my daughter this broken up. It was almost comical, me slowly walking around, trying to keep them from rubbing against my incision, as both of my girls were hugging my legs and crying heartbrokenly yesterday.

My oldest daughter just keeps saying, "Mommy, this is a bad, bad day." I really appreciate everyone's well wishes and support. My biggest reason for posting was just as a warning, though most of you are much more knowledgeable than me. But I was thinking about laminating a diet sheet and keeping it near the cage should I ever be out of commission again at short notice.

saggymilksacks

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:23 am

Oh, and my surviving pig is moping around, but he is eating. We're going to shower him with attention, and I promised my daughter we'd hit petfinder when she gets home from school, even though my heart is not in it yet.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:23 am

I would be curious, how much was a "large" amount of banana? Just as a reference.

I am so careful now with stuff like carrots and fruits. Much more than I was in the past. I find that its so deceptive with amounts. Look at a tiny carrot or a small wedge of apple and say - that's not much at all! Then I think how big that small wedge is to the guinea pig, and realized its probably the equivalent of me eating a few handfuls of carrots, or eating a few apples all at once! Granted - they are grazers and humans are not, but I find I have to remind myself that what appears small to me is a very large amount for them.

saggymilksacks

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:27 am

One large banana, split in 2. So each pig ate half of a large banana.

pigzRme

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:44 am

I'm sorry for your traumatic loss, SMS. Hugs to you and both your daughters and the poor surviving piggie. Sounds like you all need consoling.

rpaws

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:53 am

I'm so sorry. It would be nice of your to honor their memory by adopting another piggie or two. Plus your remaining one would be glad to have the companionship again.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am

I told Ellie about your tragedy. Her eyes welled up because she felt so bad for the pigs and for your daughter. And she was scared because, as she said, "That's something I would do!" I hope you all feel better soon.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:04 am

I am so sorry.

amy m guinea

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:09 pm

I feel so so sorry for you and your daughter. Thank you for letting us know about bananas. I hope she doesn't blame herself for too long. Perhaps telling her that you also didn't know how bad bananas were, and that she fed them out of love, and that you know she loved your pigs. You could tell her that guineas are delicate in many ways and you know she never meant anything but good. But stress again how no one in the house feeds the pigs anything not on the list. I think having a list by the cage is a good idea.

Adopting two new pigs would be a good way to heal, and maybe you could stress to your daughter how you are saving the new pigs and giving them a good life with you.

This is truly so sad, and it is terrible that it happened while you were having your own health problems.

elaineko
Supportive

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Wow, I'm so sorry for you and your daughters. I had no idea that something like that could be dangerous. I can imagine the same thing happening at my house. So I appreciate you sharing your experience. You probably saved some pigs with your warning.

58 posts