WARNING: "Rollin' The Hay" hay dispenser - SUPER

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 pm

I received a letter today concerning a product sold by SUPER PET for guinea pigs:

I recently purchased two "Rollin' The Hay" hay dispensing Balls from SUPER PET to find that they are highly dangerous to guinea pigs!

_Super Pet - Pets International, Ltd._
(http://www.superpetusa.com/index.html) Item #61917

I came home from work to discover that my cavy had managed to knock the dispenser off of the bars of the pen, open the door that is supposed to "lock shut", and was trapped in the ball. His front legs and head were trapped in the ball itself, and his hind legs were entangled in the metal hanger. I thought he was dead, but luckily he survived with few injuries.
I would NOT recommend these as pet safe in any situation.

[Direct link to product: http://www.superpetusa.com/catalog/view ... mber=61917 -- Lynx ]

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 2:51 pm

Oh dear. I didn't like them because I thought they might get their teeth stuck in it or something. Glad her pig is ok.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I'd given up on finding my pigs "toys" but I'm sure there are others who would consider buying something like this.

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Yikes, that is really scary! I am so glad her guinea pig is okay.

jgaff78

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 3:54 pm

I know I have seen a picture of that thing in somebody's cage here on GL. I hope that person sees this!

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 4:47 pm

We have one, but it's still in the box. Thank goodness.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 4:58 pm

I took one of those out of the box at the store and looked at it. I thought the metal bars looked scary too. I kept thinking that my pigs would get their teeth stuck in them.

ohthosepigs

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow Lynx, I'm glad your pig's o.k. We got one, and they immediately pulled it off the side hangers and worked the door open, strewing hay everywhere. Then we tried just the round part with one of the plastic purple side rounds taken off (sort of as an open bin) with the door cable-tied shut, and they just tipped it over and strew the hay everywhere. So now they have a nice hay rack, and no round hay-strewer-of-doom.

coki
eats poos & leaves

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 5:34 pm

Why buy something like this when the pigs would just as soon have a toilet paper roll stuffed with hay?

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 5:48 pm

ohthosepigs: It wasn't Lynx's pigs. She was just posting a warning from an email she received.

I wondered about the safety of those things when I saw them. They look cute, but I think the pigs would rather have a big pile of hay to crawl in.

klynne

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 5:58 pm

I have a bunny friend who has them for her rabbits. I wonder if they are dangerous for critters too large to crawl inside them?

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Fri May 12, 2006 9:37 pm

They look like a waste of money. I hope they are recalled but doubt that would happen.