Hot Pigs - Air Conditioning Options

lisam

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:47 pm

Between the fans, the frozen water bottles, the wet towels over cages, and the frozen fruit treats (watermelon and canteloupe) I have been able to keep the pigs cool during our heat wave. Our temps here have finally lowered into the eighties instead of the nineties (Farenheit). I'm still using the frozen water bottles--they love those things!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:25 pm

That's great to hear, Lisam. I hate to think about those people who've lost power during high temps. Fans and frozen water and nice fresh wet cool vegs have to be very refreshing.

Tim + Angie

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:23 am

I'm still using the frozen water bottles--they love those things!
Ours do too. Petey will put his front feet up on it and snuggle his belly as close to it as he can. His little eyes half close while he just stands there getting some relief. If he could talk, he would be saying, "ahhhhhhh"!

It's suppose to be 90 degrees again the next three days (at least). So, we'll be doing the water dips for them. That seems to help them cope better, also.

LibraryGryffon

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:37 pm

I gave my piggies fresh romaine last night, and Mr Muffin immediately lay down on his with his legs spread out. I'm thinking it was nice and cool, though he may have just been protecting his property from Mr. Nibbles, who will eat anything (he's still a growing boy).

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 pm

I just moved my pigs into our sunroom area (just an extension of our living room) and it has the same constant temp as the rest of the apartment, just 6 windows.

I'm not worried about keeping them cool, but I do have a question about ceiling fans and A/C vents being a problem. There is a ceiling fan directly above their cage. Can I ever turn it on? Also there is a vent nearby and I have turned it as much away from them as I can.

Is this an issue? What is the difference between naughty drafts and fans/AC blowing on them? I usually have a ceiling fan going because I love being really cool, but I want if it can cause problems.

I basically moved their cage because we are having a birthday party tomorrow, and I can always move it back.

jlthomas79

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 pm

This has been super helpful seeing as I have a giant skylight and a huge sliding glass door in the living room where their cage is. With the hotter temps here in Dallas quickly approaching I love the frozen fruit and water bottle ideas. These are great back ups in case we lose power like we did several times last summer!
The cage fans sound like a great idea also. I never worried about fan's and A/C until we got our pigs. I just shut off the air when we left for the day and turned it on once we got home. Now I get paranoid and make sure I have the house set for at least 72 before I leave each day!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:23 am

Another Dallas person *waves*.
I put frozen sheets of ice in those huge ziplock bags under our cage blankets last year. This place is horribly insulated and it's hard to keep it below 78, a/c never shuts off. Ice sheets worked like a charm though to keep them cool.

You coming to the Hoedown jlthomas79?

moonfall

Post   » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:48 am

We tend to use the AC as little as possible in order to save money on utilities. My roommate and I both have fans in our bedrooms (the pigs are in my bedroom). They seem to really like the cool air. I've seen them lounging on their sides as though they're basking in the breeze.