lice???

Kat

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:11 pm

I think my guinea pigs might have lice, or something of the sort. I was washing Cadbury this afternoon, when I noticed millions of little brown specks in his coat. When I checked on the other two, they had them too. They really do look like tiny fleas. Is there any way to determine what they actually are? If they are lice, how do I get rid of them? With a shampoo?
Thanks guys for helping (here´s presuming you will;)).

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:46 pm

That´s a question for Lady Bug (Lynx).

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:14 pm

If they are fleas, there may be dried blood in the coat. Try wetting a small area to dissolve the blood and blot with a paper towel. I´m not sure what fleas really look like -- I think Advantage will work on them.

I would just read the Guinea Lynx page on parasites (click on button above, select "Parasites" from the index). There is a link to flea advice on it too. Personally, I would use topical ivermectin. It will take care of most of this type of parasite (not 100% sure about the fleas though).

Kat

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:54 am

Update on the parasite condition.
Tried the blood test, to no avail. Does this mean they aren´t fleas?
Went to the feed store today to get some shampoo or something. Didn´t find anything intended for small animals, so I asked the bloke serving, who took me to the dog shampoos. He did alot of "umming and ahhing", and then read the label, trying to find out if it was safe for guinea pigs. Didn´t find anything on the label, so he rang a vet, who also owns the company that makes the brand of shampoo he was "umming and ahhing" over, and the vet told him that the best bet would be to use bird lice and mite spray, so that´s what I´ve come home with. He said that if it didn´t work, then he might be able to order in some intended for small animals. Nice bloke.
Just wondering, will the spray work? What should I do to make sure their cages are pest-free?

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:58 am

Why don´t you use Advantage? 0.1cc/kg. Apply in drops behind each ear. Repeat in 30 days if necessary. Do not wash pig in between doses.
Last edited by pinta on Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kat

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:00 am

Where would I purchase Advantage?
I´m presuming this is something I´d have to get from a vet...which is rather difficult for me...
Last edited by Kat on Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cea2001

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:41 am

Hi Kat

You could try and find ´Animal Science Mite and Mange Spray for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Rats and Mice´. I buy it at the petshop and have used it to successfully treat my rat for lice. My flatmate has also used it on her pet mice and I´ve used it on the pigs too, with no ill effects. It´s pyrethrin based so works for lice (although does bugger all for mites). Just spray it on the animal (mind the eyes and ears) and repeat if necessary.

Mind you, Advantage sounds like it would be more thorough in eradicating lice, so there you go.

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:58 am

You could try online or phone your vet and ask if you can get some. If you are a regular client they will often sell you the meds without charging for a check-up.

In many places you can buy Advantage over-the-counter.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:56 am

Can you get ivermectin? Topical ivermectin will work on lice. The topical dose is 0.5mg/kg (somewhat more than the oral/injected dose of 0.2 mg/kg). You put it behind the ears. It is systemic so should be more effective in the long run on lice if you can´t find the Advantage. Needs to be repeated in 10 days or so (doesn´t kill eggs).

Kat

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:38 am

The thing is, I wouldn´t know where to get ivermectin. The only place I´ve ever heard of it is on here. I´ll look into Advantage.
Meanwhile, I have the bird mite and lice spray, is it worth giving it a go?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:51 am

Ivermectin is really really common. If you have anyone who has cattle, farm animals, etc. it is used all the time. Do you have farm feed stores? Try calling around. I would be really surprised if you couldn´t find it.

-------------------------

Take a look at :
http://au.merial.com/products.asp

A search on Google.com under Australia and ivermectin seems to show some of the testing was even done there.

I am confident you can track it down somewhere.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:47 am

The feed store I was at yesterday had several different varieties of ivermectin--horse paste, straight injectible, ivomec pour on.

They also were selling Advantage right there at the front counter.

Perhaps some of our other Aussie friends know of where you can get some?
Last edited by lisam on Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:30 am

I get ivermectin from our vet.
We adopted a pig from a family that had neglected him and he was covered in lice (white tiny moving bugs) and 3 doses of ivermectin and a couple of good shampooing´s cleared up the problem.
We used a shampoo that was espically made for bunnies and guinea pigs (the name of it escapes me).
I know people that also use Advantage on their pigs and it does a good job of keeping them "bug free".
I haven´t run into any brown specks in the coat problems though. Good luck.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:57 pm

Yes, lice are pearly white not brown. Is it possible it´s just dirt or dust from bedding or scales of dry skin? Does your pig have any skin the same color as the specks? Did they wash off with a regular bath or stick to the hair?

More likely to be a type of mite or fleas if they aren´t white. Fleas will jump and resist crushing with your fingers, they have hard bodies. Mites have soft bodies and are much smaller.
Last edited by pigpal on Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:17 pm

I think there are dark lice too (at least that´s what I remember reading).

Kat

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:10 pm

Well, they´re small, dark insects. I only noticed them when I washed Cadbury. I can hardly see them now, but when I washed him, they seemed to be all over his fur. The other two had the same thing when I looked closely. They clung to the fur.

cea2001

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:02 am

Kat - that´s the kind of parasite that was on my rat and they disappeared after using the spray.

I get ivermectin from my vet - enough to treat 7 pigs cost me about $8! Although I did pay a consultation fee on top. The only ivermectin I could find at the feedstore was for cattle, and came in a 50 litre tub!

Alfie

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:41 pm

Hey, Kat, I was in our local pet store at the weekend (Pets Paradise) and they had Advantage available over the counter!

I had my arms full of hay and was in a hurry so could not check the dosage level but they had a range, including one for kittens, which I imagine would be most appropriate.

It´s a bit pricey (around $35); not sure how much there is.

What area of Sydney are you in? I´m in the Inner West.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:53 pm

Why don´t you use Advantage? 0.1cc/kg. Apply in drops behind each ear. Repeat in 30 days if necessary. Do not wash pig in between doses.

Kat

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:51 am

cea, I actually think they may have caught them from some wild/feral mice we´ve had in the house. We´ve gotten rid of the mice now though, so hopefully the lice (or whatever they are) won´t return.
Thanks for that Alfie, we have a Pets Paradise not far from here, so I´ll have to check it out. I live in the southern suburbs of Sydney.
You´re quite persistant pinta, I´ll credit you with that! Like I said, I´ll check it out.

26 posts