New To Guinea Lynx

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 pm

If you look on the page about sexing the pups the white female( the first photo) you can see the umbelical stump, this is exactly what mine looks like, it says that the baby in the picture is 3-5 days old? I AM WORRIED!!!! is there any milk replacement I CAN USE? Should I worry? I am going to weigh her now. Be back in 5 minutes?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:24 pm

Let us know how much she weighs - we might be able to hazard a guess based on her weight.

No milk replacement. You would use Critical Care in a 1cc syringe with the tip cut off. Aspiration is a great risk in tiny babies, though, so it's not something to be undertaken lightly.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Should I worry? I am going to weigh her now. Be back in 5 minutes?
Still waiting to hear the weight?

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:31 pm

sorry about the weight
she weighs 7 ounces

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:42 pm

sorry about the wait, she weighs 7 ounces

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:57 pm

Gosh, that is incredibly small. It's unlikely that baby is even 3 weeks old, although I suppose there's a chance the mom had a lot of babies - which usually makes them small.

Is she eating and drinking ok?

You need to observe her really carefully and make sure she eats and drinks enough to increase her weight. Weigh her every single day without fail. Get some critical care and some 1cc syringes to have on hand in case you need them. Actually, I'd put critical care in a bowl in her cage just to give her some extra nutrition. And be sure she's getting high-quality alfalfa pellets - Oxbow's Cavy Performance would be best.

Also, I'd bet on it that nobody really knows the sex yet. She may turn out to be a he.

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:09 pm

I was afriad that she/he was too small, I hope that it will be okay and live, it drinks from the water bottle ok but I will go get some critical care. Do you think that alfalfa hay will be okay instead of pellets, I already have some hay but can get pellets if needed. Should I take it back tomorrow so it can be with its mother? I have the time to watch it very carefully and feed it but would it need it's mother better?

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:12 pm

The store is closed today.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:19 pm

With an animal this small I would really go out and buy the Oxbow. You can't just buy Critical Care anywhere - you'll have to see if a local vet carries it.

Otherwise, here's what I'd do: offer the Oxbow pellets plain in one bowl, and mushed with water in another bowl. She may also eat the mushy pellets off a spoon if offered.

Tomorrow, just ask them at the store what date she was born on. My bet is that someone returned the mom and her babies and nobody really knows when they were born. If she's maintaining her weight ok she'll be fine with special care. Babies are separated from their moms at 21 days, and are usually just fine at that age.

Weigh her several times today. How accurate is your scale? You want one that weighs in grams to get a really accurate measurement.

Incidentally, what sort of store is closed on a Thursday?

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Where can I get the Oxbow?

etplante

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:27 pm

http://www.oxbowhay.com

Enter your zip code to find the stores near you that carry oxbow products.