Toys

imanut4u

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:14 pm

Well, you know, the homemade toys get boring after awhile. Paper bags, balls of paper, tp rolls etc. sure, they´re free/cheap, when they get soiled you can toss em, but I think every pig needs new toys sometimes........ and yea, I´m a sucker.

Teresa posted on another board about her foster home using Tug N Tumble toys and how the pigs really liked these.
http://www.petdiscounters.com/small_ani ... umble.html

Unfortunately the Guinea Pig (shaped) TugNTumbles are on back order so we will have to wait for those, but ... I did order one for my rabbit. He´s not impressed, and it´s actually a bit small for him, so I threw it in with the pigs and they are all over it. Taking turns stealing it from each other, tossing it around the pen. I need the back ordered GP shapes to come in before the pigs start getting violent over who gets the new toy!

They have balls and wooden bird toys with bells, but *really* seem to enjoy this. It´s very similar to a baby rattle and small enough for a guinea pig to carry around.

Also ordered the Bounce Back toy - not as big of a hit so far, but they are checking it out.
http://www.petdiscounters.com/small_ani ... backs.html

I also ordered "Chubes", large chewable tubes (no risk of getting stuck, LYNX!) and this also seems to be a big hit. Something to be said about crawling through and chewing at the same time. http://www.petdiscounters.com/small_ani ... hubes.html (there is a nesting material inside the tubes, which I did not give my pigs)

I am very happy with the service from PetDiscounters.
Last edited by imanut4u on Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:15 am

Hey! What´s that little curley tail doing on that Tug N Tumble guinea pig toy???

And yes, the large "Chubes" -- at 6" in diameter -- sure oughta be safe!

lisam

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:36 am

Wow! I never heard of that place. I have the bunny bounce Back Toy, and my rabbit hates it. He attacks it and tries to kill it. It is a little unnerving to watch him, I get a little nervous feeling and my hand strays up to my neck as if for protection.

My pigs have never been big on toys, but I bet they would like those tubes to chew on.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:36 am

Hmmm...maybe Jules would like the tug n tumble toy.

I was wondering about the tail myself. What kind of tail is on the rabbit?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:51 am

Yes -- looks like one of those rare "lop-tailed" rabbits.

I´m thinking someone with a twisted sense of humor designed these things. Probably created them for a dog to devour.

Cara

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:03 am

Wow, super prices too. Must check that out when I´m at home with my debit card handy!

pigpal

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:36 pm

Whatever I give my pigs to play with, whether home-made or store-bought, they tire of it very quickly. I believe it´s the novelty that attracts their interest. They´re curious, so they nibble and nudge it around a bit, maybe toss it in the air a few times, or slam it against the bars. As soon as they figure out it´s not edible they ignore it.

I´ve tried setting aside the more durable toys and reintroducing them later but the second time around they take even less interest. Now I don´t buy toys any more, I just give them safe stuff from around the house. They like empty flower pots, metal spoons and measuring cups, plastic cups, that sort of thing. I just make sure it´s clean and that they can´t bite off bits which could be swallowed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:37 pm

That reminds me of advice I´ve heard for babies and small children. The stimulation and constructive use of found objects can be just as good as any fancy toys one would buy.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:00 pm

The toys they have on that site seem great....if I lived in the USA, anyway.
They don´t ship to Canada.

Laura823

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:39 am

I have the bounce back toy. Piglet is only interested in it if it stuffed with hay, but Mitzi likes it. She has fun pushing it and then waiting for it to bounce back. It reminds me of those untippable cups for babies. I was thinking about getting one of the Tug-N-Tumble ones but both of my pigs are scared of bells and toys that rattle. I wonder if there is any way to remove the bell? I was looking at them last night at the pet store and I couldn´t tell. Mitzi also likes playing with those colourful plastic links for birds that you can hang from the cage ceiling.

Dobby - If you´re looking for toys, the Village mall Pet City has a better selection. They have those chewable tubes at Bunny Bytes, which does ship to Canada, but carpet rolls are easier, some places will give them to you for free!

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:16 pm

Laura823- I spend almost every Saturday afternoon browsing around Pet City in the Village. My b/f lives very near, so I walk down there while he´s working. They know me by name in the Avalon Mall, and they know my face in the Village. *LOL* It´s sad, I know.
I´m going to get me one of those Tug´n´Tumble toys when I get paid next week. I think my chubby little pigg´un will love it. He´s a real kicker and thrower.

Laura823

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:32 pm

Hey, don´t feel pathetic! They know me and my mom that way too. In fact I am beginning to feel ridiculous every time I walk in there. Now that I buy a lot of bedding at a time I don´t need to go there too often though. Maybe I´ve seen you there before and didn´t know it! And you think it´s bad that they know you by name, at the Village some of them even know my pigs names LOL.