Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Ok, I was at the close-out store and they had loads of grass so I got some rye seeds and a couple of AL foil pans with plastic lids to start making my own attempt at growing my own pig treats. I have a little bit of newsprint from the grocery circular that comes in the mail. Wish me luck.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Well, I soaked my seeds overnight and spread them on wet newspaper. Now I have one more question. When do I add in this uber-nasty "slurry" mixture of pig poos that I made? Doesn't that make the house smell?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:28 pm

I don't do mine like that.

This is what I do:

put in jam jar with lid with holes in it (like a screen). Fill up jar and rinse several times, then leave with water in it soaking overnight.

12 hours later: rinse seeds and leave the jar upside down to drain.

do this about 3 or 4 more times, until you see the seeds sprouting (maybe 1/4" sprout).

At this stage spread them out on the vermiculite. Cover and keep in a dark place until they're a couple of inches high - then uncover and put in sun to green up!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Oh yes, I forgot they ought to sprout in the dark. I best go cover that clear plastic lid with some foil! I did wash the seeds and was very surprised at how dirty the water was that poured out. There were 2 pans and lids in the package and I have 2 entire pounds of rye seeds so I think I have plenty to experiment with. There's also some potting soil in the basement from who knows when that I could use too although I am loving the dirt-free method.

It would be nice if I could avoid having to use this nasty slurry fertilizer. It just looks really, really, really gross.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:19 pm

Mum thanks for the reminder how to do it, I tried last week and they sprouted but then all molded and died.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:11 am

Wow! It grew! It's been exactly one week and lookie what I have in my kitchen window

Is it time to trim and feed the piggies yet?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:13 am

Perfect - you can feed it now! Or you can wait a few days until it's taller and greener and the bottom.

You can get a second cutting out of this too, if you keep watering it.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:14 am

But do not let the piggies sit in it and eat it if you want a second cutting. They will enjoy it immensely and rip it out by the roots!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:16 am

I'm very proud of myself. This is the only successful thing I've done in forever. I confess, I have already given the pigs a tiny nibble yesterday and they loved it. I'm going to plant my other aluminium tray too, so I can have then growing one after the other. This is so cool.

Squagglie

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Wow! You should be proud of yourself, that looks great.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Just one week? Very wonderful!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm laughin BL. Because it's growing only on newspaper, it wouldn't take much to rip out those roots at all. Oh boy this is gonna be fun, fun, fun.

Tracis, the bag said "fast grow" and boy did they mean it!