Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:22 am

Here is my little indoor lawn:

I'd like to get another flat going, but not sure where I'd put it. If I had the space, it would be great to have them on shelves with a larger grow light somehow mounted overhead. I just don't have room for it in the kitchen.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:43 am

Very nice and lush! It looks just like a little indoor lawn. :)

somechick

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am

Envious!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:53 am

My piggies wanna come for dinner Sef!!!

Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 am

Has anybody tried making hay out of cut wheatgrass? Would that be bad for the pigs?

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:50 pm

So, I finally found the wheat berries at my Whole Foods! First of all somechick, I DO have a bizzaro Whole Foods. Totally the exact opposite from yours. You'd freak out.

Anyway, we don't have any bulk bins that I could find. I walked all over this store 3-4 times before finally finding little tubs of wheat berries WITH THE RICE. Um, yeah, whatever! I don't know how that fits into the grand scheme of things. There were also some other grain seed kind of things that I was curious about. I wonder if anyone has ever grown millet? There were others, but millet caught my eye as possibly being something good for them. Ideas?

They also sell packages of pre-cut wheat grass but I figure that will spoil before my boys can eat it all. Best to grow my own.

somechick

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:56 am

Huh, ours are definitely not with the rice, but in the back right when you walk in. There's all sorts of seeds of any kind you can imagine there. And they're not prepacked tubs, it's a buy-by-the-pound thing.

I guess we shouldn't go off the assumption that all WF's are the same. :)

MuffinFace

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:37 pm

So wait, if you find wheat berries in bulk, like for the eatings, they will also SPROUT? I have been contemplating trying to start a flat of wheatgrass (buying the pregrown stuff is kind of expensive, considering), but I have no idea where to get the seeds.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 pm

They should if they're raw (not roasted or something). I'm sure you could find the seeds somewhere online but a health/natural food store would be your best bet for finding them locally. Although given my experience at Whole Foods, I'd suggest saving yourself some time and asking if/where they have them.

So no word on the millet?

MuffinFace

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm of no use on the millet thing. :( I'm sure it would be fine for them, as it's very similar to oat and wheat grasses, (and it's good for us hairless apes too), but as to whether or not it's just as easy to grow, I have no idea. You should grab a handful and give it a shot - and then let us know how it goes!

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:45 pm

Ducks love millet grass and seed. That is about as much help as I can give you. Oh and it is VERY VERY easy to grow.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Well, thanks for that feedback. I knew it was healthy for humans to so maybe get double bang for the buck and cook some for me.