Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Once the seeds sprout, what do you do? How often do you water them and how much? I tried once before with soil and had awful luck, but then I stuck them outside (in a tray). I think I'd rather try soiless, inside, but I have a very ungreen thumb.

mooser

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm not quite sure. Once they sprouted, I spread them out on wet paper towels and wet them down 3x a day. Hopefully they will continue to grow. I used to sprout all the time for my bird, so I knew that part was easy. But the actual growing grass part is new to me.

somechick

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:44 am

Where does one buy wheatgrass seeds? At Lowes I found veggie, herb, and flower seeds. The only grass seed I found was HUGE bags of grass - I guess to cover my lawn. I don't think I need a bag that large.

Upinthehills

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:58 am

Health food stores carry whole berry wheat in bulk. You can buy bags in smaller quantities. Make sure it's whole berry. If the bran has been taken off I doubt it would sprout.

somechick

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:38 am

Oh okay thanks, I'll try to search it out at Whole Foods. Whole berry - I wouldn't have thought of that either.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 am

They sell seed starter trays at many home improvement places. Usually an inexpensive plastic...not terribly sturdy but with care should be usable for some time.

Our local grocery carries wheatgrass in little starter containers...about 6" x 6" in size...for about $2. They grow it using the soilfree method.

Thanks for the tips though...I think I'll try and grow some of my own.

somechick

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Hmm. Maybe I'm not looking in the right aisle. I couldn't find anything anywhere. Well I'm going to a natural food store tonight anyway so I'll check there first.

Can you grow other things soil-free? I want to grow my own dill and parsley. Since I give these to my pigs sparingly, if I buy a bunch at the store, it goes bad too quickly. I thought if I could grow it myself, it would be better. If not, I'll just find some soil somewhere too.

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:59 pm

I've bought the seeds at Wal-mart, with all the other seeds. It has a picture of a cat on the front of the package.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:24 pm

I grow my wheatgrass in vermiculite, and it does very well (less messy than with soil). I also use a kelp fertilizer.

I soak my seeds overnight, rinse well, soak again - and do this for about 3 days until they have about a 1/4 " sprout. Then I spread them out over the vermiculite and cover them until they grow a few inches tall. At that stage I take off the cover and let the sunlight turn them green.

It's important to go through the rinse process (about 3 times), because I believe this is what removes any contaminants.

ellissian

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Ive just grown some grass like that not sure if its the same.

Its actually kitty grass for house cats but I assume its ok for my guinea pigs.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:02 pm

pretty sure it is the same stuff.

ellissian

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Well thats good as they have been eating it!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:55 pm

Mum do you have to water it daily after you put the seeds on the vermiculite? I must be doing things wrong as my seems sprout and then mold and die.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:09 am

What a great post. Thanks for the information. I've always grown mine in soil. I'm going to try it without now.

The best place to get the wheatgrass seeds is in the bulk section of a health food store. It's the hard, red, winter wheat that you need. It's much cheaper than the pre-assembled kits and it's usually organically grown.

I use flats from the garden stores. They have a criss cross cut out underneath which is good for drainage. I always line it with newspaper.

Amy0204 - wheatgrass doesn't like to be in direct sunlight. Perhaps that's why yours didn't grow well after you put it outside?

somechick

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:56 am

I went to a small natural foods store last night and they had no wheat grass seeds. Maybe I'll try Whole Foods this weekend. Grr.

But does anyone know anything about growing parsley/ dill/ anything else soil-less?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:05 am

Hydroponics!! You can grow lots of things hydroponically!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 am

Mum do you have to water it daily after you put the seeds on the vermiculite?
I just spritz it with water after the seeds are sown. You want to keep it lightly moist - it should never dry out or be totally soggy! I find it easier to use a spray bottle.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am

How much light does wheatgrass need? My apartment has no direct sunlight. I killed a bunch of different herbs because they didn't get enough.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 am

Not that much - you just need enough light to green it up. Mine often sits by the stove in the kitchen - no direct sunlight there at all, just a lightish kitchen!

scozy
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:30 am

This thread is great! I sprinkled soaked seeds on wet vermiculite this morning. Image

Grow wheatgrass, grow for gourmet guinea pigs!

200 posts