Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed May 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Debi---Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I got the seeds today in the mail. I think you mailed me enough seeds to last for a while :P I am going to begin soaking them tonight....I am so excited!!! Thanks again, and I am sure the herd would want me to say "Wheeks!!" from them.

I promise I will post picture.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed May 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Yipee! :)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 7:45 am

I just found this, yes Weaver a picture is a must.

amptondooz

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Guess what? Guess what? My wheatgrass has sprouted!

somechick

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Okay I finally found seeds, couldn't find those neat trays though. But when you say to soak them overnight. How do you soak them? In a pot of water? An inch of water? In a bowl or spread out on a tray/plate?

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 1:15 pm

The trays I use, you could even get from the grocery store. They aren't neat and cute, just plain foil cake pans with clear plastic tops. I cover the top with AL foil while the seeds are still germinating and keep the top on for humidity control until the grass is just too tall. I soak my seeds until they're totally covered in water in an old salsa jar.

somechick

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 1:17 pm

Yeah I found the seeds at Whole Foods, but couldn't find any of those foil pans there! Then I got to lazy to go to another place. But I can run out later to get those at Shop Rite or something, for now I'll just soak my seeds in a bowl. Thanks!

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 1:20 pm

You probably just got lost in the insanity that is Whole Foods. I have never been in a store with such an unnecessarily complicated layout and inventory. But you can get some really spiffy stuff, once you find it!

somechick

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm certain that I did. I walked the whole store twice before I found the place that dispenses seeds. It was in a place that wasn't easily seen if I walked the front, but then it revealed itself as I walked the back.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 8:00 pm

Ooooh. I can take the foil off now, right?

rshevin

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Yup! You can switch to plastic wrap for another day or two to help keep the moisture in while its germinating. Good going!

somechick

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 8:19 am

Sad to say that my soil-based dill, parsley, and cilantro haven't done squat! Maybe I should put them on a piece of paper towel too and skip the 'potted plant' idea all together.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 10:42 am

I think they will need something to hold on to while they become mature plants, but I always sprout on towels in the dark when I start anything from seed.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 am

SC, how long ago did you plant the parsley? Parsley seems to always take a long time to grow for me too. Basil is much quicker and easier to grow plus I usually can get my basil plants to last a year or more before I somehow kill them.

Currently I have lettuce, carrots, parsley, and basil (all started from seed) growing pretty well in window boxes on the front porch. I also have a tomato plant seedling that in 3 weeks has managed to get as tall as the front porch railing! It's an heirloom type of tomato plant that is a determinate size so sooner or later it will reach full height and stop growing.

somechick

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:46 am

Dang. I planted them all over the long weekend. So not even a week has gone by, but I don't see anything! The bag said to plant them 1/4" down and to spray with water, not pour it on. That's what I've been doing.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 am

One weekend is not long enough for parsley. I don't know about the other two. Our parsley sprouted tiny teeny seedlings after 2 weeks and is now growing well. The carrots sprouted quicker than the parsley!

somechick

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 12:55 pm

I'm also terrible at keeping any plant alive, so it makes sense that I wouldn't be able to birth one :).

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 1:08 pm

Heh. I also suck at keeping plants alive over the long term but I've had great success with basil for some reason. Maybe it's more forgiving than other plants.

somechick

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Well, my grass didn't grow any further than that photo above. Today the whole thing was mold central so I tossed it out. Maybe I took the foil off too soon? Maybe I'm just a sad loser. Waaaah!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:26 pm

somechick, that is what happpens to me, I have tried it a couple times and I have no idea what went wrong.

Weaver did you get yours to grow??

200 posts