Etta Mae (the pig) has a scab.....

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:19 pm

My pigs have recently been treated with two doses each of ivermectin two weeks apart and a light dustin of Carbaryl powder for lice infestation per my veterinarian. The nits are completely gone, and they show no outward signs of mite infestation.

Tonight while blow-drying Etta Mae, I noticed a very tiny hairless, scabby area on her back that is not visible, nor can you feel it very easily unless you know where to feel. I found nothing of the sort on Harper Lee.

Could it be the onset of mites? Wouldn´t the ivermectin have taken care of that? They don´t seem very itchy or uncomfortable. I doubt it is a fight wound, as my girls get along swimmingly, and Etta Mae is the dominant one, anyhow. I am puzzled about this and am curious as to what y´all think about it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:10 pm

I feel uncomfortable with using any powdered insecticide, as it could be inhaled. Ivermectin works for some people on lice. It definitely works on mites. Your scab could be from a mite irritation that is now gone. If it doesn´t heal or you see more, I would consult with your vet.

If you check Guinea Lynx (button top left) under lice, there are some guidelines for safe pyrethrin shampoos that will also help should you have a reoccurance.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1