Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and Tanuki

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:52 pm

Tanuki is one of my skinny boars. I adopted him from the Toronto Humane Society last April. At first he had some skin issues like dry spots, and I had tried some different things like vitamin E and sweet almond oil on his to try to help. It mostly ended up gunking up on a spot on his back, and I eventually found that with a good diet of high-quality pellets, unlimited timothy hay, and lots of fresh veggies, and eventually getting his toenails down to a reasonable length, that the skin problems cleared up on thier own.

He is very hairless, even for a skinny, and while everything else is fine, he never seemed to have enough fur on his nose. He has had two separate courses of ivermectin since I've had him, and he doesn't seem to itch really anyway. Just the fur on his nose never seemed quite right. I tried putting monistat cream on it twice a day for quite a while, since skinnies are supposed to be more susceptible to fungus. It didn't seem to do anything for him, and he hates having gunk rubbed on his face.

So after hearing how coconut oil has been a miraculous cure for some, I've decided to try it out.

I found it at a little health food store, and it was $20 (Canadian) for a one pound tub. I was expecting to pay about that much, but I was expecting it to be a smaller container! The lady at the store kept telling me how its such great stuff, and I should take 1 tsp with every meal, and how its good for your hair and your skin, and with weight loss, but to start slow... and so on.. I was just smiling and nodding, I didn't have the heart to tell her I was going to rub it on a hairless guinea pig.

Anyway, so here is the coconut oil I got:

It says on the box: Since the beginning of time, the sexy silhouette of the coconut tree has brought passion to the tropics" which makes me giggle every time I look at it. And it smells really good too. I just want to make sure that this is the right stuff. It says it is: Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, non-GMO, cold-pressed, 62% MCT's, unrefined, non-hydrogenated, sweet aroma, delicious tasting. I was expecting it to be with the massage oils and stuff, but it was with the food products.

I took some 'before' pictures, then I rubbed it on Tanuki's nose for the first time tonight. I'm not sure how often to use it though - would twice a day be good?

Here are the 'before' pictures I took. It was difficult to get a good clear shot of his nose. I hope to be able to update this thread with 'after' pictures where there's lots more fur soon.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:02 pm

I'm sorry. Please release your hippo back into the wild.

I think that sounds like a really good deal for the coconut oil. I don't know anything about it but I hope it works for you. You can also use kitten program for ringworm/fungus if you suspect he has it. That will clear it right up.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Coconut oil is fantastic stuff - and at least it won't hurt him. Yes, I'd rub it on 2 or 3 times a day (sparingly).

Kitten program for ringworm is wonderful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Darn cute little pig! Do some research and find out if cocoanut oil can get rancid. Might be a good idea to keep it (or half of it) in the refrigerator.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Ok this thread is already making me laugh out loud. First there was "I was just smiling and nodding, I didn't have the heart to tell her I was going to rub it on a hairless guinea pig." I can't tell you how many times I've done similar things! Then there was the description on the jar and Tanuki with a look of utter annoyance at you. At least he got a chinny out of the ordeal. His ears are just the funniest!

I just love your little hippo boys Fairysari. I hope it works for him too. If not, you can take it yourself when you're finished with him apparently!

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:38 pm

The lady at the store said to keep it at room temperature. The leaflet in the box says "Conveniently it can be stored at room temperature. It has a long shelf life at room temperature. Just be sure to store out of direct sunlight." And "Stored at room temperature, it has an impressive shelf life, which can be extended by refrigeration. Pure coconut oil solidifies below 20C (76F)."

So I guess I'll go put it in the fridge.

I don't really suspect fungus necessarily. There is fur there, it is just very short.

I am open to trying the kitten program too. I assume it would have to be prescribed by a vet? Should I try to schedule an appointment as soon as possible, or would it be okay to give the coconut oil a week or so to see if it works before trying the program?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:19 pm

If there are any mites, it would be good to take care of them now instead of waiting.

twofinepigs

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:25 pm

I'd be cautious with her recommendation for you yourself to take a teaspoon with meals. Coconut oil is one of the superhydrogenated fats that you are really supposed to avoid, isn't it?

If that isn't true, someone tell me, because I LOVE coconut products - but I use them very sparingly for dietary reasons!

Coconut oil is marvelous stuff to rub on your dry heels, though. I keep a tub in the shower for that. :)

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Lynx, she said she's already treated him twice for mites.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:29 pm

http://www.coconutoil.com/index.html

Some interesting information to be found on coconut oil here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Okay. Instead of reading "Program" (which would be for fungus), I read "Revolution".

Yes, you might as well treat now and see if it helps.

p.s. I would NOT eat any cocoanut products that did not include chocolate in some form (to counteract any of the negative effects of the cocoanut oil).

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:33 pm

It sounds like chocolate and coconut products together would work out as a very healthful eating experience!