Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and Tanuki

pogolysmom

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Just thought I'd throw in another praise for coconut oil. My friend has been battling with a pig with bumble foot. She started using coconut oil earlier this week and has already seen an improvement. We'll see what the long term effects are.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:09 pm

In healing up the skin, you are saying?

pogolysmom

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:49 am

That's what she's implying. I'll ask her again when I see her on Mon.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:02 am

Very cool! Hey, whatever helps and is not hurtful is a good thing!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Well what do you know! I finally decided just to use the stuff I had on both the cat's hot spots and Piggy's uber-nasty grease gland. I didn't have so much success with the cat (he just feels greasy now) but I really think it's working on that grease gland! I rubbed a lot in and a lot of goop came off. He's wrapped in a towel on my lap soaking before the butt-bath. I've never found anything that worked on him, not even Gojo. If this works, it's worth it for the saftey profile alone. I'm also going to put a small amount in a lip gloss tub for myself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:43 pm

That would be cool. If we get some other confirmations that it works well for people, maybe I will ad that tip the the guide (since it is an unusual product, we have to make sure people can find it and it works for them).

fairysari
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:26 am

I was thinking maybe it would even be good for using in place of mineral oil in boars that need a good butt cleaning?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:36 am

I would want to soften a small amount first. It's liquid at body temperature so all you'd need to do is warm it in your hands but mine is pretty darn solid at room temp. Not sure how it would do for de-pooing.

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 am

Brandilynn - sorry for the delay, I forgot Mon. was a holiday and I wouldn't be signing on. Anyway... I talked to my friend using coconut oil for her piggy's bumble foot. She said that her pig was really happy this weekend. The foot has no more open sores, but is still swollen. Sounds like it's doing the trick.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 am

Groovay!!

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:43 am

I'm hoping that next week's update shows that the bumble foot is completely healed. We'll see.

FYI - I don't remember if I already mentioned it, but I also have a friend using it on her cockatiel who has lost a patch of feathers. No update on that one though.

Gotta love this coconut oil! I'm looking forward to trying it as lip balm. What a good idea that was.

pogolysmom

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:44 am

Oops, not a cockatiel, a cockatoo. Did I spell that correctly?