Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and Tanuki

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue May 01, 2007 6:48 pm

!! Hooray for coconut oil!!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:07 pm

Ok I need some help. I used coconut oil this morning to soak the grease glands on both my boars. I shampooed them both THOROUGHLY, twice with bunny bath and they still have really, really greasy bottoms. Help! What can I do to get this off? These pet shampoos really don't seem to do anything at all towards dissolving oily substances.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:02 am

Dawn - works wonders!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:10 am

Ugg, another bath then? I'll wait until tomorrow when the already semi-dirty towels are dry. They aren't all that dirty, just wet from drying the boys off. Ugg. Do you think Harris Teeter store brand dish detergent will work too? Maybe I should just get some Dawn and keep it in my pig box.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:23 am

I really don't know. Everybody said Dawn for grease glands, so I bought some and now I always use it.

I also use it for tumbling silver, so it's proving to be a useful thing!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:29 am

I tried using Dawn alone on the grease gland and it didn't cut it for Piggy. One of these days I'm going to get you a good picture of his. It's the most disgusting, thick, gunky mess I have ever seen on GL. I've tried Dawn and mineral oil and Gojo and vaseline and now the coconut oil. Everything anyone suggests I try! He hates it when I scrub his butt so what I like about the coconut oil is it's safe for me to leave on him and let soak for a while without having to towel wrap him (he's extremely strong and hard to restrain). Even after bathing and soaking there's always some residual gunk that I just can't get off. I guess he's just a very boarly boar.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:38 am

Try Malaseb. Llewelyn was stinky, even after 3 baths, when he first came in here. Finally I left the Malaseb on for 10 minutes, and he was actually silky-clean after the bath!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 am

We're doing ok with general cleanliness. It's just this dreadful grease gland. Silly boars. I may order some though. I need some epiotic for Piggy's ears and some critical care for the freezer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:35 am

When you find a combination that works, remind me to add it to the grooming area. A combination of what cleans the grease gland best for you and what cleans the cleaner off (I think this is the other part of success).

klynne

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Malaseb is what works for Brody's ubergunky grease gland, as well. No need to use all the other stuff, just bathe butt with the Malaseb, let sit, rinse, done.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:03 pm

I guess that I find it hard to believe a different shampoo would help more than the 3 I've already tried (bunny bath, kitten shampoo, and Nizoral) but well, I'm pretty desperate.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:43 pm

The key is to let it sit for 10 minutes!