Why do I feel so bad?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm

Emjay, please read this post (AGAIN):
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711
If you take the time to use proper captalization and punctuation, it makes posts so much more readable.
Thanks!

This is the THIRD TIME I am giving you this friendly warning.
The next time your account will be suspended.

averyl

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 am

You can also report any abuses or mishandling to your state. Try this as a start:

http://www.api4animals.org/b4a1_petshoplaws_state.php

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:01 am

I don't know that much about pregnant pigs, but I am almost positive I have read somewehre that you need to be careful housing two pregnant pigs together, so you may want to make sure the baby girl is not pregnant.

From what I understand if the "other" pig eats the momma pig's afterbirth the hormones could make her start to have contractions and go into labor prematurely.

I hope the store owner allows you to take in these pigs and find them loving homes. Truly it would be in the best interest for him along with the pigs. The last thing he needs is a bunch of pigs inbreeding with one another because he can not properly sex them out.

Mocu

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:10 pm

There is another side to this and its not what you want to hear. If you stick with two, you can spoil them with everything they could possibly need, especially your attention and affection. The bigger your group gets, the less time and money you have to spread around. Vets are not free.
In a perfect world we could all be Angelina Jolies or Mia Farrows with lots of money and helpers, but this isn't a perfect world.
It sounds like the guilt you are experiencing comes from identity confusion. Do you want to be a rescue shelter/foster parent or do you want to be a forever homemaker...

Melody R

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:22 pm

Averyl - thank you for the link. I almost died laughing --- the first line of the Florida law defines "animal" to include "every living dumb creature." Umm, not be be unkind, but I think that fits a bunch of humans I know as well - lol! Oddly, it also states "pet shop is not defined." Florida also has a "lemon law" offering recourse to buyers of sick or diseased animals, which I will read when I have a chance to look it up (no link). Interesting.

I *think* this store owner has honest intentions. I called this a.m. but he isn't in today and the store is closed on Sundays, so I'm not sure what to do at this point. The girl I spoke with *thinks* these GPs were brought in by someone associated with the cat rescue. Maybe someone turned them over to that rescue, which of course is not what they do. The owner of the store apparently not only donates the store space to the cat rescue but also buys all the cat food, litter, etc so at least part of his heart is in a good place.

Last night and this morning, I spent hours pouring over the gestation information on this site and my biggest concern now is -- "Lordy, Miss Scarlett, I don't know nothing about birthing no babies!" - GPs that is. I have helped deliver horses, dogs, rabbits, hatched birds etc - but never GPs. Am I getting in over my head? My original thought was that I was probably more qualified (esp with GL for reference) than anyone else who would adopt this Momma, but now I wonder how qualified I am!

What are your honest opinions here as to what I "should" do? I work all day -- I CAN take handfeeding babies, sick pets etc with me to the office, but I don't think it would be a good idea to drag a pregnant female back and forth daily. Which means she would be at home alone during the day. Course the other side of that argument with myself is that even if I were home 24/7 doesn't mean I wouldn't miss out on the birthing anyway.

Should I take Momma to the SPCA where there is a vet there? This sounds awful, but would it medically be the best thing for her?

Should I just take the boys? I already have boars and at least they wouldn't be around to re-impregnate Momma on day 1. Course that doesn't solve Momma's problem.

If if weren't for my fish I wouldn't be in this mess - lol!

Melody R

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Ixnay on the SPCA idea - it looks even worse in print than in my mind!

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:40 pm

I would say that you are infinitely more qualified to care for a pregnant pig than anyone walking in off the street who might want to take some of these pigs home. If anything, you have this site where you can come to get answers to your questions.

If you were considering doing anything, I would take all the girl pigs, especially the pregnant one. The boy pigs left behind can get adopted by other folks and there is no danger of them ending up with an accidental litter. Of course, that is if the shop owner will allow you to have them. You could inquire as to whether the fee goes to the cat rescue. If it does, then I think that would be okay.

After a year or so of fostering pigs for a rescue, I am about to have the first litter of pups born here. I am a bit nervous and even though I don't work outside the home, I still can't guarantee I will be right there when she delivers. It sounds like a lot of pups are born in the wee hours of the morning. So I guess I wouldn't worry about that part of it. If something comes up, you deal with it the best way you can. At least that is my plan. Well, that and calling up people who know more than I do (lol).

You might not have the experience behind you but you care.

Upinthehills

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:00 pm

Just a comment about the definition of animals including "dumb." I think dumb in this instance is defined as not speaking rather than stupid. The primary animal shelter here is called The Denver Dumb Friends League. When named the word dumb didn't have the meaning that it does today.

Melody R

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:06 pm

Upinthehills - No, I realize that, I was trying to be humorous with a play on words.

But then actually, my parrots would be disqualified as they can not only speak, they can actually carry on a conversation!

Upinthehills

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Sorry. I've had people be upset that it's called the Dumb Frineds League here and have to explain where the dumb came from. Nevermind. (Said in my best Rosanna Rosannadanna voice)

Melody R

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:42 pm

Up - I realize where they are coming from, but I hate to say I can see the misunderstanding -- maybe they should consider renaming it. I have clients who are deaf-mutes and I wonder how they would take that! It's rather an archaic term. It's getting almost impossible to stay politically correct these days!

I LOVED Rosanna, what a loss she was!!!!!

Melody R

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:18 pm

HAPPY ENDING!!!!!! On my way to the office, I just had to stop by and check on them (of course, extra cages were already in the Jeep "just in case"!).

The owner was there. I talked to him at great length. These GPs had come in from someone involved in the cat rescue. He agreed to let the adoption fee go to them. Another lady from the cat group was there and said she knew someone who ran a "home for unwed (animal) mothers" so to speak, who primarily took in pregnant rabbits, hamsters, etc and got them through the birthing process. Then they adopted the babies and mothers directly in good homes, often through the cat rescue people.

So we called her. She hadn't done GPs in a while, but she HAD done them before and she is home all day. So I agreed to furnish her with everything she would need - Oxbow & KM pellets, CC (just in case) hay etc etc, even a cage and she agreed to take the two girls. Since she keeps a girls-only facility, I agreed to take any baby boys that Momma or daughter has at three weeks of age, and to assist in the adoption process for the GPs later.

And I have the boys. And this whole thing may really work out well. She and I will talk more at length about doing GP rescue, with her focusing on the girls and me on the boys.

I know you all want pictures but I don't have a camera (just my SLR). All of them were Abbys except one boy that I'm not sure of. His hair is smooth, shiny and straight and way longer than usual. It's not Peruvian, there are no whorls. Is it a silky? The hair isn't LONG, but maybe three times longer than usual. At six weeks, I'm not sure.