Attention Multiple Boar owners...

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 12:22 am

I see that lots of people own more than 2 boars, but its not clear if you have them all living together. If you have more than 2 living together, please share how many you have, how large their cage is and age of your piggies. Also, if you can share stories about your bonding process that would be great...thanks!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 12:33 am

It looks like sus4rabbitsnpigs found the biggies.

All I will add is that the three guys I had living together, Grandpa Henry (age 8), Widget (age 1) and Frost (age 7 months) are currently in solitary confinement. Frost is going through his adolescence, and despite being half Widget's size, is terrorizing him. It's like a chihuahua attacking a grizzly bear. Then Widget started picking on Henry. They have 30 square feet split over two levels.

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 12:38 am

Thanks for the threads...I guess I should add a little background to explain what I'm looking for. I have 2 boars that are bonded, they are about 3 months old. I rescued another boar from the local shelter last week, he is about 10 months. I'm looking for more information from people with boar trios or more...I've had great luck with my pair, am hoping for the same from a trio after quarantine is over!! Most of the information I see is just pairs, so am trying to reach out beyond that....thanks!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 1:07 am

We started out with Gilbert and Sully, a pair of littermates. When they were about two years old, we adopted Grandpa Henry, at that time a seven-year-old pig who had never lived with other pigs.

We were prepared for the possibility that he would be a loaner pig. Because of his age, though, and his mellowness, he absolutely loved Gilbert and Sully, and they in turn loved him. He actually turned out to be a perfect third, sort of a diplomatic sort who helped the two younger guys settle down.

I will point out that the 5-10 month range can be a rough time for introducing pigs, because they are going through their authority-testing-snotty-teenager phase. You might find that they get along until the younger guys are in this age range, and then they'll be hellions for a while. Or you might find the 10-month-old is a troublemaker right now. But, in a few months, they might be okay.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 7:41 am

We currently have 6 boars, with Tobias/Otis living together, and Sebastian/Oliver living together. Henry and Zachary are bachelors. I haven't had any luck with three-somes, regardless of the age groups or cage size. It's all about personalities, and I guess I could never get the chemistry right.

veckard

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 7:47 am

I only have a pair of boars, and they're two month old brothers, so I'm not much help.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 7:51 am

I had young boar, middle aged boar and senior trio that did great.

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 8:12 am

I tried a boar trio but the oldest pig couldn't stand the stress of living with two "teenage" boys, 1 years old and 6 months old. He is now separated from them, but the three of them still meet during floor time (it usually goes alright).

Jennicat

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 8:24 am

I've got a trio of grown boars living together in a 2x6. Two are three years old, and one is two, they get along pretty swimmingly, though they do occasionally squabble over who gets the best lettuce.

For a short while, I had 4 boars (1 fixed) and 2 females (BOTH fixed) living together in a 3x8. There were more scuffles, but they got along very well. I ended up splitting them back up because one of the fixed boys has OD and had a didn't seem to enjoy all the travelling he had to do around the cage.

ThatKat

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

I have 3 boars living together in a 4 X 2. (Yes, I know this is the minimum for 3). They were all rescued from a shelter, and were apparently in REALLY close quarters before I got them. I'm not sure if they are brothers, cousins, or what. When I got them, one was about a month old, another was about 3 months old, and another was around 5 or 6 months old. They all went through "puberty" at different times, and at those times certain piggies would try and bully the others. There were a few scuffles, but nothing serious. They are all now over a year old - in fact the oldest one will be 2 this summer I believe.

My biggest problem came when one of my female fosters went into heat. That threw the middle age piggy into a hormone fit. He was bullying on the other 2, and it eventually took 3 "buddy baths" and reorganizing the cage to get them back to normal. But, all is well now :-)

ellissian

Post   » Wed May 02, 2007 8:36 am

I used to have 5 boars living together (sadly all passed but one). They were a father and 4 sons and lived quite peacefully together until the father and 2 of his sons had quite a few vicious fights.

The sons were around 18 months at the time and had to be separated from each other as one of the sons got quite a nasty rip to his ear.

All 3 were very dominent pigs. The other 2 were very placid.