When to throw in the towel?

Louise

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:52 am

I think Humph and Basil are getting on fine. Gingerpig is still hiding though.

humph is very excited to have other pigs to play with but hes not being aggressive - only overly amorous - hes certainly not hogging the food or anything.
I´ve held Ggp a few times and he seems normal enough pooing etc, no injuries, no obvious signs of sickness - just overwhelmed when in the cage. I´m wondering if he may be better taken out of the mix and caged alone.

Its been a week now yet I never see him out of the roofing tile he hides under - when would I expect to see an improvement? Has anyone had a similar experience.

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:26 am

My pigs are never visible when I go up to their cages. They all have houses, and they all disappear when they see me or anyone else walking up. I try to spy on them to see if they actually have a life besides hiding in the huts, but they have a sixth sense and know I am peering at them.

What was he like before you put them all together?

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:28 am

Nah, he´ll adjust. Give him a chance, the little guy has been through so much already.

Louise

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:40 am

only had him a couple of weeks but he just always seems to be hiding. boycie and trigger run off and hide but at least i know theyve been out. as does basil.

humphrey is old school and learned his stuff from the late great Greypig and Brownpig so hes permanently craning for my attention.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:11 pm

Weigh him regularly. If his weight is fine, you know he is coming out to eat. For guys, food is EVERYTHING.

He´ll be fine.

Louise

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:18 am

he is gaining - i put food under the roof tile to make sure he gets it

Louise

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:19 am

you´re going to tell me not to do that now aren´t you/ tpo see if he comes out?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:12 am

Yup. You don´t want a recluse. Food is the way to a man´s heart etc. etc. Pigs will jump hoops for food and pretend to love you.

Jill

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:42 am

much like my son (see below)

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:31 pm

Lou, it took two months for my most skittish pig to stop chattering his teeth at me when I would go to fill his food bowl, add hay or vegs to his cage, or change his water bottle. It took him two additional months to decide it was okay to stay out of his pigloo even if I´m in the room, and another month now and I can talk to him while he´s out of his pigloo and he doesn´t run away. Had him since the beginning of September. Now watch, I´ll finally find him a home and the adopters will have to start all over with him.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:13 pm

It took my Maggie a whole year before she would move when I was in the room. It took her another few months before she ate in front of me. A few weeks ago, she took food from my hand for the first time and she´s been here for over two years. Be patient.

Louise

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:44 am

it turnas out his top front teeth have broken off. i know he had them when i first got him! anyway he seems relieved that someone has noticed and is hoovering up soft food like no ones business. hes also a bit more curious and is looking round etc.

the rodent lady trimmed his remaining teeth and hell go back to see her in a week or two

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:19 am

Don´t let her trim them again unless they are showing signs of growing into the gumline or growing misaligned. Trimming unnecessarily only delays when he´ll be able to rip and tear. Check Guinea Lynx for teeth info and pics of teeth growing in.

The bottom teeth will grow up to meet the top teeth. As the top teeth grow, they will grind the bottom teeth back down to the correct length.

The teeth breaking off could indicate a C deficiency. Make sure he´s getting a C supplement until the teeth grow back.

Louise

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:28 pm

thanks pinta - she trimmed them becaue they had gotten rather ong - but she didnt take too much off.

im thinking of caging him seperately to make sure hes eating his chopped food - he fed from my hand esterday but not today. trouble is dont want to stress him out even more. humph is guarding him fiercely.

CAT

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:05 pm

I feel sad for those of you with timid pigs. My two are nosey, pushy and bossy. When I get home from work they squeal for their food and rush to the front of the cage. When I put it in, their noses are rummaging through it before the bowl hits the floor (often I have little feet pulling my arm down). After checking out the bowl they then check my hands for ´treats´ - if my fingers smell of veggies I often get a nip! They only run away if they think I might be going to pick them up.

Sneakers, who I lost recently, used to put his head in the air for a chin scratch every time I walked past. We even have them used to all our noises - they don´t even flinch when my husband grinds coffee beans every morning!

Louise, may Gingerpig get braver every day!

CAT

15 posts • Page 1 of 1