Different Breeds of Guinea Pigs (A Breeders view)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:04 pm

OK I know that breeders are a big no no but I found on youtube a clip that shows the different breeds and has examples.

While the idea of show pigs are nothing I can accept, I thought well some of the new people might like to see an example of what the differences are.

E has explained alot to us also.

This is just a pictorial view, if you can get past the breeder/show mentality BS.

Stacey Wallace

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Well, I learned I have one peruvian and 5 mutts!

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:10 pm

I know I must be projecting, but all those guinea pigs looked sad to me for some reason.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 pm

I thought so too. When I first watched I was mostly checking out their fur, but then I started looking at those faces. :(

Stacey Wallace

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:06 pm

They are probably sick and tired of being picked up and positioned all day!

Inrun

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Whats the deal with dissallowing of "Tan" as a color in show pigs so often? I don't get that.

Kellyjo

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Maybe it sounds boring and not as prestegious? Makes the pig sound blah.

Inrun

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Makes them sound like they're biggoted against tan pigs. Weirdos. Showing doesn't make sense to me.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:10 pm

I think my rex/teddy would have something serious to say about being petted backwards from rump to head! They must hate getting petted in that case.

I wondered too about the tan. What's so 'offensive' about tan piggies?

Kellyjo

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:13 pm

I am sure the pigs just love being shown in a room with a lot of people making noise.

Faye

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:25 pm

I feel sorry for those pigs with hair so long it takes up the space of 3 pigs. Not a very practical hairdo. I can't imagine brushing hair THAT long. Gilbert cries when I brush her rear end as it is.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm

It's supposed to be 'pretty' and win awards - who cares about practical and the pig's comfort. <eye roll>