Different Breeds of Guinea Pigs (A Breeders view)

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Josephine, if you would like any help from me (on the roan/dal page maybe) just email me.

We could see what pics we can solicit from members. Maybe make a sticky with the varieties you want. If you do one page at a time, you could list everything you want for that page. For example, the roan/dal page might include something like this:

ROAN:

Golden Agouti

Silver Agouti

Black

Red

TSW
etc etc

DALMATIAN:

Black

Chocolate
etc. etc.

MAGPIE:

(explaining how they're not really roans)

COVERT ROANS & DALS:

(any non-obvious roans who have popped out lethals)

LETHALS:

(any informative pics of lethals: lethals with red eyes, dark eyes, small eyes, deformed eyes, missing eyes, eyes flashing silver from the flash; tooth pics; etc.)

Then you could request people email you a link to their pic, with a subject of "Chocolate Dalmatian" or whatever so you can sort and pick through. People who want to help but don't know what their pig is would be encouraged to post in the thread where E tells them what kind of pig they have.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Josephine, I would love to help in any way. I can upload pictures if you write up the thread. That is no problem. If you can tell me when you have some to post and or if you want me to get from some specific place, I can do that.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks guys. Salana, that would be great if you wanted to headline the roan and dal page. I'm sure you have some great pics of Einy that we should use!
Dgarriques, I would definitely appreciate any help. I'm just not sure until I get started what exact form it will take. I'm just putting down thoughts right now in the reference forum.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:31 pm

I do not have the expertise like most of you but I can help with gathering info and loading pictures for you. Just let me know and I will do what I can. It is WONDERFUL of you to share so much knowledge.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:46 pm

I could scream at people who claim to have tan pigs and albino pigs. 'K?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:00 pm

I saw on the other thread (which I dont want to add questions) but E can you tell me what a "Blue" is?

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:29 pm

There is a blue roan, which is really a black roan, and also a slate blue. I think it was a variety developped in England (or was it Australia?), but I'm not sure what you mean by a blue.

Oh and which 'other thread'?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:56 pm

This is the new threa Josaphine started for reference (thus why I didnt want to clog it up with questions). You will see where she mentioned BLUE.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:58 pm

Oh, E, by "Tan", I'm referring to the Black and Tan if you read the first page of the thread. The Marten gene.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:00 pm

I think Blue was taken out of the most recent ACBA standard book (one is published every 4-5 years) since it was so uncommonly shown in the US. That just shows you that my info is older. I was trained about 15 years ago when I was showing.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:04 pm

So a Blue would be what sort of color? Like a grey kind of?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh, I think I'm done for tonight. Will be home tomorrow and will check this thread for any suggestions/changes.

I guess I'll need some breed pics, although I won't get any of the rarer breeds, I'm sure.