theory on chirping

PinkBoi

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:54 pm

When hearing the sound clip, both of my guys kind of jumped up (and since they were eating veggies, you can imagine the impact it had) and froze. Flap ran to his safe place, and then turned back, listening to the chirping.

I love playing guinea pig-sounds to see how they react to it.

Slinky

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:21 pm

Damn. I decided to up my speaker volume, and see how my foster cavies reacted. Every one of them stopped dead in their tracks, and started looking around for the noise. Can't say they seemed very fond of it.

monique2

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:36 pm

Whoa là! I'm impressed - that really is a chirp. I call Elvis' vocalizing, chirping because it is rhythmic and pulsating, but much more regular and less musical than this sound. He usually does it when on our laps or shoulder or behind us on the back of the chair - sort of a " happy to be here" sound.

Slinky

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:06 pm

It had to happen eventually...

Just as my head hit the pillow last night, either Max or Riley started chirping. But if I moved at all, it stopped. Apparently, they don't like the idea of chirping to me.

Teresa

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:57 am

Kara has an exceptional pig. Every pig here that chirps, you have to -- oh so carefully -- sneak up on them just to see who is doing it. And they usually catch you and stop.

And of course, this is USUALLY, but not always between 3 and 4 am. I've been known to crawl in the pig room on my hands and knees ever so quietly in the dark in the middle of the night just to try to figure out who the culprit is.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:13 am

Of course she is exceptional! She thinks she is beautiful in every way!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:42 am

Not quite every pig. If Nina chirps, I haul over there and watch her. And I did get the video clip that I converted into a sound clip. Perhaps it has to do with how much of a trance they're in.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:38 am

I had to sneak up on Job. When he first started it, I crept out of bed and tiptoed into the living room. I had narrowed it down to one particular corner when a guinea pig was startled by me, jumped, and scared everyone so the chirping stopped.

I went back to bed and it started and woke me again. This time I made it all the way to the center of the room and saw Job and Meg staring at eachother through the bars. I thought the sound came from Meg, so I picked her up and was holding her in the kitchen when the sound started again. Finally I was able to zero in on Job. Guess I didn't expect a boar to be doing it.

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:54 pm

We have Ginger on video in the middle of the day. She could have cared less that we were taping her. I wish there was an easy way to get it onto the computer. She looks so cute sitting there chirpping away.

She must be taking a break... I haven't heard her chrip in a week or so. It is possible, however, that we sleep through it.

gpservant

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:43 pm

Kara, what tape format is it on?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:58 pm

My Maggie chirps from time to time, always in the middle of the night. Sasha, the newest sow, chirped for 15 minutes in the car, when we went to pick her up. It got to the point my son turned to me and asked if i could make her shut up. She's really loud and she doesn't care that we're around. You can open the cage, push her a bit, she'll stop for a second and get right back to it.

I seriously doubt they do it out of loneliness since none of my pigs live by themselves.

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:03 pm

gp... God only knows!! Kirk says the file is HUGE!!! It's a digital camera. Seems like it should be kind of easy. For god's sake, he works for Adobe!!

Same problems we had with trying to get the piggie popping video on the computer. Maybe I'll mail the tape(s) to you!!