Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:26 am

*!Ginee Pigz' Rok!*
*!Guinea Pigs' Rock!*

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 am

Dribble has two pigs that chirp, both Lily and Daphne. Lily chirped for years before Daphne started it, and is not stopped when you walk into the room. Totally comfortable and chirping away. The other pigs ignore her.
Buttercup used to chirp, but I haven't heard her do it for months now. I really miss hearing it, I feel like I've been treated to something special when I hear it, even if it's the middle of the night.

Kara, have you noticed with your pig if she warms up first? There seems to be a "huff-huff" sound they make for a few seconds before breaking into the chirping.

ChadWPB

Post   » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:40 am

KM, I just had a pig start chirping - during lap time.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17652

We heard that huff-huff sound and at first thought something was wrong with Snuggles. It seems they have to wind up to chirp, as Snuggles's whole body was shaking with his breathing while chirping. It seems to require quite a bit of effort.

Marilyn is also a chirper. The two pigs are quite close and snuggle in the hay pile together.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:21 am

I'm bringing this up because I have a new chirper. I was wondering if anyone attributed chirping to pain or distress. I'm paranoid, because Max's chirping started a couple of months before his unfortunate diagnosis.

I heard it about a week ago, and my husband said he and Thing1 heard it the other day, too. Not being pig people, they were really confused and looking for a bird.

I suspect it's either Steve or Jules, but I haven't caught anyone yet. I heard it through the floor vent (the same way I hear Jules scream for his breakfast). It's also LOUD, which is why I think it might be Jules. I have inspected each of the pigs and nothing seems "off".

Mysterious.

supertramp
Hopelessly Addicted

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:59 pm

The loneliness theory seems to make some sense. One of my pigs used to chirp an awful lot (mesmerising the first time, not so fun at 4am for the third night in a row) when I hadn't had her a very long time. Now that she's completely settled and most definitely large and in charge I haven't heard her do it for months. It's made me wonder if maybe she missed her mum or something to that effect.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 pm

For what it's worth, Nina chirped a long time before she developed any problems. I thought something startled her -- and maybe she liked the sound, too.

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:09 pm

None of my guys chirp but Pippin's shrieking sounds like one of those new-age humpback whale songs. Maybe chirping/shrieking/whistling is how piggies communicate with whales?

Subby

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:11 pm

I tend to think it is some other function entirely (to pain or discomfort), because I've watched it spellbind the other pigs in the room. OK, maybe spellbound in pain-empathy? But it certainly didn't seem that way. As I said somewhere else I suspect it might be some kind of mating/courtship instinct, or something more mysterious.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:11 pm

Mine have all chirped at some stage but I've put mine down more to time of year more than anything else - if my theory is right, after the clocks change I will get some chirping starting up again. It's usually April they start up and both do it. Late afternoon, early evening is their chirping time.

Now that it's in writing, my pigs will likely be silent! If you're reading this guys, I'm onto you... ;·)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:46 pm

He has two cage buddies, so I doubt he's lonely. If it's a mating instinct, he can try, but he won't get anywhere with it.

I wonder if webs is on to something with the time change.

Tashagurl

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:29 am

At least two of my four pigs are chirpers. I've seen them. They chirp anytime of day, sometimes multiple times in a day. They arent lonley, Sam and Sassy live with two other pigs. I think they just enjoy it. I dont know.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:34 am

If chirping has anything to do with time change, I think we set clocks ahead in a couple weeks. Should we watch for chirpinig behaviour soon?