theory on chirping

Bonnie

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:30 am

So have everyone's pigs been chirping over the last couple of days? Cocoa has been going nuts. I'll be standing there giving them food, or just looking in the cages, and she'll just start up. Staring right at me. I can even pet her while she's going. But if I try to pick her up, she stops and runs. So weird.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 am

Actually, no. Not that I've noticed.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:19 pm

I was awoken last night at about 1am to this very loud chirping. I don't know who was going at it so loud. I snuck out to see who it was and it stopped. After I went back to bed the chirping started in again. I will catch the chirper in action...I will...

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Maybe you need a cavy cam!

Tashagurl

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:35 am

My pigs chirped a few times last week.

cowgirl

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 am

Sorry to dredge this up - but last night Baci chirped again. She always does it between 4-5am but only once every few months. She does it for a few minutes. I watched her last night and her eyes were open but she was in a trance and wiggling her butt. I just played Nina's sound and they both ran to their hidey house. I feel like it's something bad, like a nightmare, and it worries me. Pichu never chirps.

Kellyjo

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:13 am

Bear chirps, and it seems his way of communicating more than wheeking. It's high pitched. Also only done when the veggies are comming.

moonbeamdanser

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

I personally think the chirping is them contacting the mother ship.

"*chirp chirp chirp* TRANSMITTING"

"The humans have fallen for my ruse. While I must endure being called "piggle-iggle-lovey-butt", I receive food and attention to my hearts content with a mere 'wheek'. My studies must continue to see how far I can go!

*chirp chirp chirp* END TRANSMISSION"

totoro33
Supporter in '06

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Do they only chirp when other pigs are in the room? Holly said Lucy chirped while she was fostering her, but she has never chirped since I've had her for almost 9 months now. I was wondering if they chirped at other pigs that were separated by another cage or something. Like a wolf howl or something: "Hey, group huddle!"

mambo101

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:30 pm

I just played the Nina chirping file and two of my three sows ran into their pigloos. The other one just stood in the middle of the cage looking like she was just in amazement. :)

K-Jun104

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm

I was just watching our girls tonight and talking to Chessie as she sat on her cozie. We looked at each other then suddenly she chirped a bit, not very long. I have never seen them chirping when I was watching them. I thought it was very special.

crazycheryl

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:58 pm

My Chihiro used to chirp when she was a wee-pig. My daughter was the only one who heard it when she'd do it during the night. Once, in the middle of the day, I got lucky and got to watch Chihiro chirp for about five minutes. Her buddy, Mudge, just hung out in the pigloo like it was no big deal. When I played the Nina chirping sound file, Chihiro would "huff" like some of you describe, but she'd never chirp. I haven't heard a chirp from any of my piggies since then :(

Fay

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:45 am

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night hearing the chirping noises, I was so stunned it's amazing how loud it is. Non of my pigs has ever done it before. I woke up my spouse and he went to check with me right behind him. He turned on the light of the bedroom (They are in the hallway next to the bedroom, We have a small appartment) and there were Wookiee and Battlestar sitting still staring at us, I saw that Battlestar was moving his mouth a bit weird and I suspect that she was the one that Chirped. She stopped chirping once we put the Light on. Leia was nowhere to be seen (I have 3 pigs) I'm guessing she was hiding.

I had trouble sleeping again then worrying and wondering why she chirped, I heard and read about it before here at GL and played the audio a long time ago.

It was very silent that night and dark, but it ussualy is, only difference is that the wind was howling and the heater was cracking and shreeking a bit. That could have been it, It could be because Battlestar was in heat the last two days which may have played a roll.

They had plenty of food and water available to them so they weren't hungry and they were sitting together so I doubt they were lonely.

I even started freaking myself out because that night we watched "a haunting" on TV and even though I don't believe in ghosts I remember my Cat would always stare to something in my parents house while there was nothing there, almost like being in a trance. I heard people say that they can see/sence ghosts and my two pigs who sat next to eachother while Battlestar was chirping were both staring to a fixed point as if they were in trance. So that freaked me out for a bit!

Other then that I can't think of any reason why she would chirp. It sounds almost like a warning call and I wondered if she senced something we didn't. We haven't noticed anything and they seemed normal this morning.

Whichever the reason I thought it was freaky yet beautifull and I'm honored to have heard the sound in real life despite it happening in the middle of the night :P

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:56 am

It's cool isn't it?

And yes it is odd but you should be honored to have heard it.

The consensus on the board is that they are calling the mothership. I personally think it's their ringtone.

:-)

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:02 am

hehehe, That's a good one.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:04 am

One of my sows called Valentine chirped once that we know of. My husband heard her. It was about 5:00 a.m. when he woke up. He didn't know about chirping and was amazed and told me that he thought there was a bird trapped in our room and then realized it was Valentine.

I have Valentine on my lap now. When I first sat here with her she was fussing and fussing. That is what she does very well. When I played the chirping to her she immediately calmed down and her eyes were really wide and she was trying to locate the sound.

I think it's a very spiritual sound and would love the privilege of hearing it.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:06 am

Eh... I am not sure whether it is a spiritual or an enlightening experience, but oh gosh it was LOUD!

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:10 am

LOL. Perhaps it's neither spiritual nor enlightening but simply an 'ear plugs necessary' moment. I loved the 'ring tone' comment too. :)

TexCavy

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:27 am

When Reuben chirped that time or two when he was young he did it so soft and quiet I wasn't sure it was chirping till it continued nonstop for a long time and was so consistent. Other than being so soft and quiet it sounded exactly like chirping clips. But Reuben was always an extremely quiet pig no matter what vocalization he was making. If he ever happened to wheek loudish, I knew I was late with the veggies or something.

My5CrazyCavies

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Spaz chirped again a few days ago. I haven't heard it since she did it this time last year. Must have something to do with this time of year.

213 posts