theory on chirping

Pqnin-

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi! this is my first post, but I just wanted to let you know that one of my babies was chirping a few minutes ago! I'm so happy!
Right now there are five in my family: 3 females (mamá-Wanda, almost 4 years old; Choco, her baby, 1 year and 1 month; Mochín, 1 year and 1 month too) and 2 males (Cosina, 1 year and 3 months; Hastur, 1 year). I had heard some piggies chirping on net, but this was really really amazing. My mother and me were watching tv, and suddenly we heard a noise in my room. One of them was chirping! We listened about 3 minutes, and then, I opened the door slowly. It stopped when I turned the light on.
I can't explain. They have food, water, toys, hay...and their cages are big (open cages, near 2 x 2 metres for the girls and same for the boys). It's cold, but they have a blanket and cozys; I cleaned the cages every day, so it wasn't dirty, and the room was quiet. I can't find any reason; no hungry, no thirsty, no cold, no fear, no lonliness...
We have some parakeets too, but their sound is very different, so... a sweet mystery! I just wanted to tell... (sorry for my poor English)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:54 pm

Your English is great! (mucho mejor que mi espanol) Yes, chirping is kind of magical. Glad you heard it.

Pqnin-

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:05 pm

Thank you. I bet it was my Xmas present!

TCsHuman

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:26 am

My grey and white Coronet (recent adoptee), Duster just chirped yesterday evening. He kept it up for about 5 minutes or so. It was so weird, the timing and all. I had just stumbled upon this thread a few days prior!! I had never heard a guinea pig chirp before (mine or anyone else's) and here on of my new ones does it. It is an unusual noise. If only they could tell us why they do it!

pigzRme

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:39 am

My boy Sunny is a chirper, altho' I haven't heard him do it ifor months now. I wish he would do it again: the last time my husband and kids were there with me watching him do it and when he stopped, we all applauded! I hope that didn't freak him out. It amazes me how they can get their voices to go up that high!

Pqnin-

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:29 am

Well, I have some news about my lil'chirping baby. I was in bed yerderday night (05:50 am), and I heard that sound again; I discovered the guilty! She's Mochín, one of my little females. She's in heat, and she was chirping about 20 minutes!. I couldn't tape it, I just could watch her. She chirped for 5 min, and then she went to drink some water. A minute later, she ran on her blanket, and started again; first of all, with one or two "chirp", and then she started to chirp very loud, head raised and moving it. It looked like a "cuic" mouth, but very opened; about 5 min again. Then, she jumped on one house (roof), and sang about 10 minutes more!
The other two females just didn't care (the older was drinkin' and eating, the another baby was playin' with a piece of paper), but the two males were listening to her, heads raised too. They were paralized, it was great!
Now, I sleep with my cam next to the bed, in case she chirps again; I have to tape it!. My web cam is into their cage too. I'll try to upload some pics of my babies.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 pm

What a treat! I have one pig now who chirps but I've only heard him once and it was only for about two minutes. It's an eery thing, like he's in a trance.

Looking forward to seeing the video!

cat22woman

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:01 pm

This morning I was watching the news in the living room and heard something chirping. I muted the TV and knew immediately it sounded like the sound clip. I figured whoever it was would stop immediately when I opened the door to their room, since they all either run forward for food, or away to hide. But, I saw it was Smoochy chirping. She kept it up until someone ran into her and then she walked off and started purring and rumblestrutting. (Yes, she is for sure a female!) I thought perhaps it's a heat thing?

somechick

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I think Dudley started chirping last night. I never heard any of my pigs chirp before. It was around 10 or 11 pm and nothing has changed in the house at all. She's been with her cagemate Henry for a few months now. At first I was concerned, I didn't know if she was hurt, scared, unable to breathe or what. It did sound like the wav file posted earlier, but not all of the chirps were full-sounding, some were quieter. Once she stopped, she didn't start again.

Do we still not really know what chirping means? Because I can't seem to relate it to anything.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:41 pm

When I first introduced Roo to his new 'brother' Frasier (he'd been a lone piggy for a few months after the death of a cagemate)- we separated them in order to put them in their 'transport crates' for the long ride home.

That was the one and only time I'd ever heard chirping. Roo was desperate to be back with Frasier. As soon as he started, we quickly reunited the two and all was well.

meggielou

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:42 pm

May prefers to chirp between 2-4 a.m. The other night she wouldn't quit! It was 2 in the morning. I walked out to the living room and she stopped as soon as she saw me. When I went back to the bedroom she started chirping again. This happened several times. I could hear it through the closed door! She finally stopped after I held her on my lap for a while and pleaded for quiet to save my sanity.

Maybe she just wanted some attention? Actually, I'm in agreement with the mothership theory. When I had the windows open this weekend she stood looking at them in a trance-like state for an eerily long time. I bet she wishes she would have picked a different form to assume. She probably wasn't counting on getting Nina the terror for a cagemate.

Ofelia

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Jästilä is my only chirper. She started as a baby and used to do it pretty frequently. I think chirping was her way of expressing distress or confusion.

The last time I heard her chirp was when Ofelia passed away. At the time Jästilä wasn't in the same cage with Ofelia but at the exact moment Ofelia took her last breath, Jästilä started chirping. She chirped for the longest time and all the other pigs stood around her, listening. Somehow the chirping seemed like a requiem – the eerie, harrowing, magical sound filled my apartment, the time stood still; my Ofelia was no more.

Jästilä hasn't chirped since.

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:21 pm

The only time foster ever chirped I had accidentally scared the heck out of him. Also after managing to avoid pet stores for nearly two years I think, I was forced to get supplies there when my car broke down and I could not drive to Lewisvile nearly 80 miles away to buy from the rescue. While there I glanced at the pigs. I swear I heard one of them chirping but could not pinpoint the one doing it.

My theory is that chirping has multiple meanings.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 pm

None of my girls chirps.

amy m guinea

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:37 pm

It must have multiple meanings. Jenna chirped once during the evening, when I was making dinner, and my family was moving about and talking, and it seemed to me like she was expressing her happiness of being part of it.

Well, that's what I'd like to think! She's only chirped that one time.

Once at night I heard someone chirping, but I don't know who.

It's like the pig is in a trance when they do it.

cavymumof8

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:54 am

I am so excited I heard one of my girls chirping so I went and had a look who it was and it was the most dominent girl in the lot. It was so unreal watching her as she chirped away all my other girls just froze even though they knew I was there and would normally start wheeking for a treat.
Maybe it could be a dominence thing?

Bianca

Kermie831

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Ok, So I know Zabby is a weirdo, but here he is chirping his butt off at 6pm...

No one paid attention to him, but then again, they never really do. Even playing the video back to them did not get a response.

Meimei - Can you teach Zabby to chirp the pretty song that you do?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:46 am

Meimei looked at me wide-eyed when she heard Zabby chirped!
Maybe only the "chirpers society" understands each another's call...?

Kermie831

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Quite possibly! Either that or it was a "Mom, you seriously didn't bring home another sibling, did you?! I'm the only musical artist diva around here!!!"

maremma

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:52 pm

have 2 chirpers. I have only ever heard Peanut (male) chirp once. I was quite shocked to discover he can do this! I have had them for over year and he never chipred at me before and hasn't since. He began chirping when I had my back to the mand was tending the girls penm on the opposti side of the room. I turned around and he just kept chirping right at me and with the clear intent to make me come to their pen to aid him in his distress!. His beloved brother Max had become ill again and Peanut was very scared and sad. I have to wonder if he didn't learn by seeing Sweetpea do it that it makes me come right away and help with whatever is wrong in the pen.

My other chirper is Sweetpea. She chirps alot more frequently. She is NOT the dominant girl in that pen. She chirps when she is in physical or emotional distress.

Dartygirl is the dominant female in that pen and sometimes she will get stand offish and not want to be bothered. Sweetpea was a lot more insecure and would want a lot more attention from Darty before Snowangel came to live with them.

If Darty would be in snit for to long it would make Sweetpea become distressed. She would go and stand next to Darty's bed and begin serenading her! She would chirp her sweet little heart out at Darty until Darty would finally forgive her, give her a kiss and let her get in the bed with her! Sweepte awould snuggle up to Darty and they both would fall asleep together. That was adorable.

The other times though is when Sweetpea's belly hurts her. She has bloat issues and is on constant monitoring because of this. Often I must give her belly massages on top of her medicine.

Bless her little heart she has even put her paws up on my chest to be sure I was looking at her then sat down and when she was in my lap and began chirping right to my face.

In my house if she is chirping the entire room freezes. They all put their heads up and listen very carefully to her while she sings. Even after she stops they all reamin a lot more docile for several more minutes. it is amazing to see that many babies all frozen. Right now I have 16.

213 posts