theory on chirping

papiggieluverz

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Our pigs have never chirped.

Those videos and sound clips are great!

Ours wheek, hoot, squawk, and sometimes hiss!, Never chirps though :(

Ceetee

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Delilah has been a chirper from the day I brought her home, but it's the loudest whenever I open up the fridge door. It's her way of telling me she wants veggies. :) No chirps out of Parfait yet tho.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Goodness. Eclair was a chirper, and I suspect it was Athena was a chirper. But it has been very quiet here for years since Athena passed away.

Then tonight, while watching TV, I heard that familiar sound. At first, since the heat had kicked in (and I have noisy steam radiators), I wasn't sure it was really chirping. But I sneaked into the pig room, and there was Pippin whuffing and chirping away (she was putting some serious effort into it).

I have a chirper again! Coolness!

GPT

Post   » Sun May 16, 2010 6:46 am

Belle was chirping last night, I though there was a bird in the room! Belle is currently a nine week old lone pig, and she was chirping at around 12am

AmorphTheus

Post   » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:59 pm

One of my pigs a pretty good chirper. I've moved twice in the last year and a half, and he always chirped shortly after the move. There's been a couple other times where he'll just start up, but I can't figure out what the deal is. I thought it had to do with stress, maybe sadness? But he also chirps randomly every couple of months. Last night he had three different chirping sessions, which was unusual because he typically only does one long session when he starts up.

I caught his first one on camera: http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m353/amorphtheus/pigs/?action=view&current=DSCF1390.mp4

The other pigs were all loafing around at the time; it didn't seem to have an effect on the younger pigs but Chubs's previous cage mate took on the same spaced-out look and started his own mini chirping session afterward (which was actually more like a faint breathy chuff-chuff). It was pretty weird.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 am

Pantufinha chirped this night again. Like the other times, she's in heat. :)

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Can it be possible that a pig learn to chirp from hear other pig doing it?

Pantufinha is my official chirper. She chirps almost every time she's in heat.

Panqueca chirped once. Timidly.

Aimi, adopted last month, didn't chirp first time she was in heat here. After this, Pantufinha was in heat and chirped. Then, next time Aimi was in heat she chirped. OMG, she chirps really loud!!! Really.

So, while most people never hear their pigs chirping, my three girls do that. I was wondering if they learn it from each other.

What do you think?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:31 pm

I've only seen pigs freeze and listen in awe.

TexCavy

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Char Char chirps in different rhythms, volumes and tones and sometimes does it silently. I wonder what all that means.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4oDl9rM2fU

Here is Barnaby Chirping. He got startled and ran under the ramp. He didn't stop until I picked him up after the video clip.

TexCavy

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Wow, he's got a really cute, airy sounding chirp. I love his monkey fleece too. :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm

I have one who chirps and one who doesn't. The one who doesn't sits like a stone and listens while Ruffles sings to her heart's content. But any noise happens, she will stop.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I listened to the video at this link (a Mouse 'singing' for a mate) and was struck by the similarity to GP chirping.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/07/video-macho-mice-make-manly-melodies.html?ref=hp

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:25 pm

How interesting! It certainly does sound like a guinea pig.

shanachie05

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

One of my fosters is a chirper but I haven't been able to figure out which one...

Z3Roadrunner

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Three of our 5 sows chirp regularly, and always at night. Sometimes it can last almost five minutes.

TWP_2

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

It seems logical to me that chirping for a decent period of time would give another pig who is a ways away a chance to find you.

Of course, it would give a predator a chance to find you too...maybe why they (at least, our guys) don't do it all that often.

dmppiggie

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Sadie is the only one who has ever chirped--she also did it in the middle of the night!

I ran into their room and looked in, and there she was, chirping away with the other girls just staring. She has also recently taken up sitting in the hay rack.

We now call her Sadie Birdie.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:33 pm

So here we are again, many years later, I still have not figured out why they chirp chirp chirp.
Although many says this is a rare occurrence, I kid you not peoples, all of ours chirp, (yes, even our special Maxwell) and they carry on even as you talk to them and pet them.

Some people on Youtube told me that I "doctored" the videos and added the chirping, but this is the clearest video I have caught them chirping.
You can literally see Emma moving her mouth and head as she made each chirp!

Grab 2 Advil's, MUTE your speakers...
You've been warned!
Emma radios outerspace!

Piggywig

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 pm

I've got a chirper! I haven't had one around in years and years. Or, at least, one who expressed it. But a few nights ago, really very early morning, Louie chirped. His was breathy and quiet, just like Barnaby's in the first part of that video.

I got up to check on him, and he gave me the "who, me?" look and went hopping away, back to bed. I really checked things out but didn't see any cause for alarm. So I went back to bed too and he didn't do it any more. I wonder if they sometimes have bad dreams.

213 posts