Bedding

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:38 pm

Hey guys.
I try not to start new topics unless I absolutely have a life or death problem, but I´m just curious and I have to ask: what do all of you people use as bedding for your beloved little piggies? I know not to use cedar, as I never have and never will. But some things I have read have got me doubting my locally made and kiln-dried pine shavings.
I´ve seen that CareFresh stuff around, but I refuse to pay a fortune for a tiny bag of fluff that´ll probably only last a week or two. I have never had a problem with pine shavings. I used them for my rats, and my hamsters, and my rabbits, and now I´ve got my pig-dude and an internet full of conflicting ideas on bedding, so could someone help me?
Suggestions and input on your own preferences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Oh, by the way, I finally got Honey/Buddy/Piggles/Peeg to sit still long enough to snap a webcam photo of him. How do you like my avatar? Isn´t he sweet?

Louise

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:43 pm

cute piggy.
i use a layer of newspaper to protect the base of he cage then kiln dried pine shavings. ive tried other stuff but this seems to ork the best for everyone

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:45 pm

Yep, that´s what I´ve been using, but you know yourself how many articles are going around about health problems due to cedar, and pine sems to be the next thing on everyone´s blacklist.

Louise

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:52 pm

i thikk we thought that kiln dried pine was ok? or has that changed now?
there arent any alternatives thhat dont cost the earth or have some othr risk. i trieed a sort of softt chopped straw which seemed nice but was impregnated with some chemical or other. also tried aa horsey bedding made from hemp.

they all seem to get stuck in their bums more than shavings

Alfie

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:55 pm

I use the same as Lou - newspaper and then shavings. Pine is fine as long as it´s kiln-dried. Some people experience allergic reactions, but say that this can be minimised by airing the shavings for a while. With cedar, the problem is the oils.

ladyveg

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:29 pm

Oh, my god, I have your pig´s twin. Adopted him from Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue in Stacy, MN. His name is Twinkie because he´s cream on the outsides and white in the middle. Even has those almond-shaped eyes. My son needed a nap really bad in this pic! But check it out, Twinkie is almost identical to your pig.

I use shredded aspen from a local sawmill, $4.50 for 3 cubic feet compressed.

Jill

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:12 pm

Cute avatar Dobby, he looks so curious with his little snout right up to the camera.

Ladyveg, before we get all carried away about the pigs, your son (I´m assuming he is your child...) is a cutie as well!
Last edited by Jill on Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:14 pm

Wow, cute picture! I use Crown Animal Bedding. It´s $7.50 for a 40 lb bag at my local feed store.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:47 pm

Hey, great pictures! They really are twins, no?

I use a combination of pine shavings with soft grass hay on top and towels too. Mine have the run of the house. You can see the set-up here:

http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/my-pigs.html

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:51 am

Ladyveg, your son is so darn cute!

My oldest son, turned 9 this year, has his picture taken on his birthday every year with one of the pigs in his lap.

I use wood pellets for bedding, by the way.

Kat

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:44 am

Just while we´re on the subject of bedding, does anyone used/has anyone tried those cat litters made out of recycled newspaper. It´s just I was thinking of using them with perhaps straw or shavings on top.

cea2001

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:16 am

Hi Kat - my housemate uses the recycled paper bedding for her mice, but I haven´t tried it with the pigs. I´m sure it wouldn´t be harmful though, it´s just compressed paper.

I use kiln dried pine for the pigs which I buy in bulk from the feedstore. Carefresh isn´t available in Oz and as I have over 30 square feet of floor space to cover with twice weekly changes, I need a cheap effective bedding. I leave the top of the shavings bag open to let some of the dust and phenols escape

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:44 am

Cute piggy! I use old towels in my pig´s cage. He loves to sleep on them, and they are easy to clean. I just shake them out, and throw them in the wash. It is nice because I don´t have to worry about my piggy getting bedding in his long hair.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:51 am

Kat, the bedding Jeff uses, the Crown Animal Bedding, is rolled recycled newspaper, it looks like little grey pellets. I have used if before, it works great even without anything on top.

Laura823

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:44 am

Sorry to jump in with something rather off-topic but...you´re from Newfoundland? Me too!!! Where in Newfoundland do you live? I´m in St. John´s. I have NEVER come across any other Newfoundlanders on most of the message boards I post on. I thought I was the only piggie person here! Finally, someone else who will understand how much more difficult it is to keep a pig here when half the stuff we can´t even get, and what we can is super expensive. And no rescues. And hardly any vets that see guinea pigs!

To answer your bedding question, I use a combination of bath towels and Carefresh. Mitzi is litter-trained so I have a corner litter box with Carefresh for her. For Piglet I have one end of her cage done in Carefresh and the rest is lined with a bath towel. Saves a lot of money. It´s the best set-up I´ve found so far. For cost...maybe you can get your pet store to order the large (50 liter) bags? It is $30 for one of those bags, which lasts me about 5-6 weeks. It´s more cost-effective to buy the big bag. Right now I´m getting 5 small bags for $30 as they´re having trouble bringing in the big bags (just got a new supplier). The kiln-dried pine here isn´t great. I found it too dusty and Piglet was allergic to it. Have you tried aspen? You can get it at Walmart, that´s what I used before I switched to Carefresh. Mitzi was allergic to aspen (and so was I) so it pretty much left me with Carefresh.

Where did you get your pig (can´t quite conclude what his name is?) He is so cute! I hope to have some pics of mine up soon.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:45 pm

Laura-
I´m a New-B.

Dobby-
I use wood pellets. They are made for woodpellets stoves and I buy them at the hardware store, but they work great as litter. I pay 4$ a 40lbs bag. I cover the bottom of the cage and throw a few handfuls of pine shavings on top of the pellets. It works very well.

Whenever I run out of pellets and use pine shavings only, I can´t believe how fast it starts to smell.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:06 pm

Laura823- I´m in St. John´s, too. Well, technically I´m not. I´m in St. Phillip´s-portugal Cove, but I work in the Avalon Mall, so I practically live in the city. :) I got Buddy (we´ll call him that for now...I don´t think he´ll mind) at Pet City in the Avalon Mall one day when I got off work. I had a big empty cage at home with no owner and figured, "Why not? He´s a cutie!"

LadyVeg- Our pigs ARE twins! Yours is a little larger than mine, but they´re pretty close to identical, and Twinkie is an excellent name. :) Very fitting.

SO, everyone is all for kiln-dried pine shavings??
Hooray!! I´m glad because that´s what I use and I´ll stick with it. :)

LynnK

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:05 pm

Yep I got one from Jack Pine Guine Pig Rescue to my sweet Amigo!

I use pine from a local feed mill Kiln dried and dust free!
Last edited by LynnK on Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonia

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:11 pm

When I originally looked at shavings as a bedding, there was nowhere on the lables that told me what wood it was from. So I bought the shavings, aired them out, and put them at the bottom of the cage. Then I came here and learnt about the hazzards of shavings and steer clear totally. Now I used a thick layer of newspaper, and unmolassed-chaff, and on top of that, a layer of readigrass, and then loads of hay in a rack which usually ends up on the floor anyway. My piggers get ´mucked out entirely every second day, on rare occassions every third day, and skipped out
( just the damp patches and droppings removed ) twice a day. The benefits of not having my piggers on shavings became all to real, when I had to take them up to the CCT, as the head rodentologist there, has a complete intolerance to all shavings and her assistant couldn´t do the procedure. I was very relieved that I hadn´t used the shavings in a while, and resolved never to use them again.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

mon

Post   » Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:32 am

I use newspaper as a lining and then the pine shavings on top to no ill avail. The hay usually ends up on top of that as well.

Dobby - your piggie in your avatar looks exactly like my Angel´s face.

23 posts