My piggies are outdoors this summer

Cat_67

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Arrrghhh! I do wish you would stop saying how warm and even hot is is outside - that you're even worried the piggies will melt! (Friendly grin!)

This horrible Norwegian summer has been between 55 - 60 degrees F ever since my vacation started, and it's windy and raining. We brought the secure outside cage for grazing for Ariel, but I haven't used it once!

I usually give my piggies (Oops! Her. I'll have to get used to there only being one piggie left) some outside time in an outdoor cage meant for rabbits when the ground is dry and the temperature is warm enough to wear a T-shirt. But I've noticed that they usually sit inside the covered part which I think is dreary and dark. They don't seem to enjoy being outside that much, they're probably scared of animals, and of course they don't see the wire mesh roof. I'd never let them be outside in the evening or at night, the ground gets too wet from the dew, and we've got foxes and badgers.

All the piggies I've had have been so timid that they would just sit around in the dark part that had a wood covering, and not go outside even where there was a wire mesh roof. But if I just put them on the grass and sit there with them, they'll eat the grass happily, and stay around where I'm sitting. They won't move far away from me, though. But, sadly I can't sit around there all day, so their lawn time is limited!

BeckyBoo

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Just a question: Someone mentioned pigloos as being good shade when the piggies are outside, but wouldn't these really heat up inside since they are made of plastic? I would have thought that cardboard boxes or log cabins or something might be cooler inside, and still give the benefit of shade.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:43 pm

They should always have a shaded area and water. Even nice days can be deadly. With supervision, the right kind of secure cage, and attention to weather, they could still enjoy time outside.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Becky, pigloos are vented on the roof but if you have cardboard and log cabins, yes, I do think they'd be cooler since they're even more ventilated. You should always stick a hand in the shelter to make sure it's actually cool in there. Honestly, if it's hot enough outside that you're worried about it being even hotter in the pigloo, it's probably too hot to be out.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Wheekness, love your basketful of piggies!

When my own pigs have been outside I used the travel box as a shelter as it has good ventilation and the pigs discovered they didn't really have to go out to eat!

I imagine TC could sell chill-out tharapy sessions for cavy lovers lying in the pen sourrounded by a grazing herd of small furries. :·)

WHEEKness

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:44 am

Woohoo! Husband made a home depot run today, for supplies. The old chicken cage will be moved into the deeps of the bamboo, very nice and cool in there. It feels like it's around 15 degrees cooler in there, I'll get a thermometer and check one of these days. There's going to be a tunnel to connect it to an area on the grass! Not sure what the new play area will look like yet.

You guys have me so freaked out (I read the hawk story last night), I'm expecting hawks to snatch them off my lap at any moment.

I wouldn't use a pigloo on a warm day. They do get surprisingly warm, just from the body heat of the piggies, nevermind the sun. Try sticking your hand in there and see. I've got wooden houses and bamboo shelters covered with dried grasses from our yard (basically hay, but good for construction because the blades are about 3-4 ft long.

Piggies were out today for a bit. No blobbing or flattening, just what looks like contented grazing and resting, to me. A few days ago, I gave them an ice pack inside dishtowel, just to see if they'd flock to it. The checked it out, but ignored it after that. Ditto on the ice bottles.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:05 am

I'm glad that you're going to be extra-careful with the pigs during their outside time.

Earlier, you mentioned that you were interested in other relevant predator incidents. Here is the thread with Bethie's Sid and Truffles.

47 posts