Talking Piggy?

Sunny

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:45 pm

Does anyone think their piggies are talking to them? I have found that Spot actually communicates with me. I can hold him on my lap/chest for 15 minutes or for 2 hours -- when he´s ready, he´ll come right up to my face and chatter at me. I´ve learned that this means, "gotta pee, better put me down!" And sure enough, when I put him down, the first thing he does is tinkle. I think it´s the coolest thing ever!

He also communicates with me in other ways but that is the most remarkable example.

Fido on the other hand is constantly chattering at me but it doesn´t make any sense. I think he´s just so dominant he doesn´t like being held "against his will." He seems to be saying, "don´t you know, I´m supposed to be the boss."

Have any of your pigs "talked" to you? I like to think that Spot is just exceptionally brilliant :-).

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:35 pm

Okay, nobody replied to this. Does this mean you all think I´m loony? Dr. Doolittle, talking to the animals?

Come on, I´m sure some of you have talking piggies, eh?

Alfie

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:40 pm

Well, we don´t exactly have conversations.

What I think is cool is the way the pigs communicate with each other. The other night, they were all out in the living room and Lucy discovered a new crevice to disappear into (she´s the explorer). The other three ran around the room, apparently calling out to find her, until she re-emerged (embarrassingly dusty) and responded.

They know when one of them is missing - when I´m bringing them in from their cage, I occasionally get side-tracked and leave one in there. The pigs that are already on the floor definitely let me know one is missing, and the lonely pig in the cage cries until I bring her in to join her friends.

I think it´s nice that they (seem to) look out for one another.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:26 pm

Cute story Alfie, your pigs sounds adorable. Yes, it does indeed seem like they are looking out for one another.

ECollins

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:38 pm

Spot does sound brilliant! None of my pigs asked to be put down verbally - it´s always a tug on the shirt or butt wiggling.

My second favorite thing about my pigs is the sounds they make (beside the cuddling). I love the "Hey, what´s that?" sound (short rumbles), the full on rumblestrutting sound (brrrrrrr), the chirping (I´m blessed with a singer), and the food squeals.

I´m not so fond of the shrieking because someone touched a non-dominant pig ("She touched me! Well he touched me first! Stop it! Stop touching me!")

p.s. Sometimes the board can be very quiet. It´s weird. When you mentioned it, I got a picture of Elmer Fudd stalking Bugs Bunny and saying "Be vewy vewy quiet...."

Laura823

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:51 pm

Mitzi talks to me all the time. I mean actual conversations. If I make pig noises to her, she gets all excited and talks back. She has a greeting squeak (sort of like a wheek but much quieter and subdued) and she always answers to her name. She is pretty much a constant talker.

Piglet talks less, but she definitely communicates verbally. If I feed her and there´s something in the dish she´s not keen on, she´ll eat the stuff she likes first and then look at the rest (like today´s offering, red pepper) then look back at me, and go "cluck cluck cluck", sometimes standing on her hind legs, asking me to bring something better (like a piece of carrot). If I don´t, I´m in trouble...

Carol

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:32 pm

I´ve noticed that same behavior with one of my piggies named Cotton. I would be holding him and all of a sudden he lets out these loud wheeks! At first I didn´t know what was going on then a minute later, he pees on me! Now when he does that I put him back in his home. He will also wheek at me when I walk by the den (where their home is). He´s probably telling me, "Slave, bring me more food"!

Sunny

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:20 pm

Okay, whew... I´m not the only one.
Carol - that´s how I learned too! When he first started chattering at me I´d say, "Oh calm down, you´re fine." Then he´d pee on me. It only took me a half dozen times to figure it out (duh).

Laura - Mitzi sounds great! How much fun she must be.

ECollins - be vewy, vewy quiet! Thanks for breaking the silence :-)

Kat

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:44 pm

Oh, goodness, I have conversations with my pigs all the time! Whistling, wheeping and talking to them, I do;). They reply too!
Actually, I don´t know if this is true, but I have heard that domestic guinea pigs actually adapted their wheeping so humans can hear them. Apparently, wild guinea pigs´ wheeps are so high pitched, that the human ear can´t hear them. The story then goes that through hundreds of years of domestication, the domestic cavy has lowered the pitch of its wheep, so us humans can hear them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:59 pm

I think I have one who occasionally gets so excited she breaks the sound barrier. Always brings a smile to me -- as I hurry off for vegs.
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:38 pm

Buddy only wheeks when he´s REALLY expecting attention....like if I´m reading the mail on my bed, and since his cage is always stationed at the foot of my bed, he figures "Well, she´s in the room so she should know that I want a good scratching and some food. Foolish slave!" and then he´ll start piercing my brain with these powerfully loud, high-pitched squeals as he kicks shavings out of his cage until I throw down my mail and open the door with food (preferably lettuce and green or red peppers) in my hands.

Ah, he knows how to communicate alright.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:17 am

Wilbur is the only one of all our pigs that tells me when he has to go bathroom and he always does that by tugging on my shirt. If he hears Charlotte (his cage mate) wheeking in their cage he will also tug on my shirt as he wants to go back in the cage and see her. :)