Guinea Pigs need our help!

land_hermie

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Here's something I made with Paint and Paintshop:
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/ ... Image1.png

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:50 pm

I'm so glad this forum exists. I sent a letter and got the form reply, not from Bonnie, but from Erick S. I'm not sure if this change means anything--I got the reply within an hour. They also even advertised their Halloween pet products in a response to my complaint!

Henle15

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 am

My girlfriend and I will be at the Sioux Falls,SD store handing out flyers!!!

land_hermie

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:38 am

I did it yesterday. I hope it helped. Today's race day, right?

EDIT: I checked the calendar, and it appears that the Petco near me is doing it :(.

All of them about 100 miles of me is doing it :(.

On the Hamster Derby page, you find a store near you, and click on "Store Events calendar."

land_hermie

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:14 am

On neopets, my neoHTML says "Don't take your guinea pig to the PetCo Critter Run, or to the vet you will run."

land_hermie

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Was anyone at it? What was it like? Was it loud and stressing? How did the guineas act?

LandosMomma

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:10 pm

I had a horrible day. We went to Erie and went to the mall first. I have been trying my best to get the Heartland pet store there closed down. Today I go in and they had bunnies and guinea pigs in the same housing!!!! I went off! They only had this to say,"We haven't had a problem yet." So, I'm calling their store vet on Monday to freak out. Then we go to the Petco to hand out flyers. Luckily there were no guinea pig owners there for the race. There were plenty of hamsters and like 3 rats. I was furious. I went around the store and placed the GL flyer over all their derby signs. The staff person in charge of the race was screaming to the crowd with a bullhorn!!! It was awful. She was spewing misinformation and promoting the hartz fiesta mix as great nutrition for guinea pigs. I went over to a manager, gave my flyer and stated that the staff really should brush up on proper care for guinea pigs. The girl on the bullhorn was also promoting the snack shacks and yogurt drops. I made a point to say loudly in front of everyone that those items are crap. My husband wouldn't let me try and take the bullhorn and run off with it. So, yes it was an awful mess.

land_hermie

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Maybe the next time you are there, you should put all the bad stuff under the shelves or wherever you can fit it.

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:24 pm

Funny, I just got done doing that at my local grocery store.

Just doing my part. Stuffing the Hartz WAY to the back.

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:08 am

The sad thing is if I were to go to Petco and do that, I'd certainly be there all day and would run out of hiding places.

KimNINfan

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:11 pm

I just sent my letter off after the fact about future races. (Having seen the posting late)

I *think* my reply is a little different than the standard form, but not too sure. Either way, I'm still furious.

We've conducted national Hamster Ball Derbies several times without a single health or safety incident. Last March, for example, more than 12,000 hamsters raced at PETCO stores nationwide with no reports of health risks or problems among participating animals or pet parents.
*Customers who enjoyed those previous, incident-free hamster race events requested that we allow other animals to participate.
*We asked our chief veterinarian and Animal Care & Education team for their recommendation about allowing other animals to participate. They said it would be safe to allow mice, gerbils, rats, chinchillas and guinea pigs to race as well, as long as all small animals race in appropriately sized exercise balls.
*Our store associate training guide for this event states the importance of keeping different species from mixing together; properly cleaning and disinfecting the race track; and ensuring customers rest their pets between race heats.
*Our event brochures encourage customers to hold training sessions with their pets at home to help ensure their small animals will be comfortable in the hamster balls and be able to participate.
*Participants clearly see their pets as part of the family and enjoy these all-for-fun competitions as another way to celebrate the human-animal bond.

We appreciate and share your concern. Pet safety is a top priority at our store events and in all we do at PETCO. We are proud of our record and will continue to take prudent steps to ensure the upcoming derby and critter run is a fun and safe event for all participants.

Thank you again for contacting PETCO.

amptondooz

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 pm

What dya think they would say if I emailed and just said "I hate you"?