Guinea Pigs need our help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:21 pm

Hmmm. Hey, the teachers out there could make writing to Petco a class assignment/project. Trying to effect change. Any teachers interested?

Seems they don't listen to us!

land_hermie

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:31 pm

That sounds like a great idea!

MotaroRIP

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:43 pm

That would be cool, but the teachers who did something would be a minority. Class room pets were still popular when I went to Elementary and Middle School.

I remember when they had a rabbit and rat in the same aquarium in my science class.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:52 pm

It's about proper care. Petco is advocating using something that can injure guinea pigs (and chinchillas).

land_hermie

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Maybe I could print out stuff and tape it to the doors in the bathrooms. I don't know how they would catch me if I waited until everyone was out of the bathroom.

MotaroRIP

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:09 pm

We could use a Petition Online to end this couldn't we? Like make it for the chins, and rat also. And then advertise the petition on all the GP boards, rat boards, chin board, and Yahoo Answers even.

land_hermie

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:18 pm

Great idea. If the person who creates it only uses their last initial, it may get deleted, so if you do not want to use your last name, use a fake one or something.

MotaroRIP

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:24 pm

I'll make it even, I just need a strong statement for my petition. Anyone want to help contribute to this? I'll gladly sign my name even.

MotaroRIP

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Would this be a good statement?
(the one Henle first posted)

To all Guinea Pig enthusiasts:

Recently it was brought to my attention that Petco will be having a Hamster Derby on Saturday, September 8th, 2007. After the Derby there will be a critter run for rats, gerbils, guinea pigs, and chinchillas where those animals must be placed in a ball to race each other. As all or most of you know, those exercise balls are extremely bad for guinea pigs and Chinchillas. I have since written a letter to Petco informing them of this bad idea and hope they will reconsider their idea of having guinea pigs and Chinchillas placed in exercise balls.
Please help me and all those guinea pigs out there and write a letter or call them about this. Let them know that they are promoting dangerous activities for Guinea Pigs and how bad those exercise balls are for the spines and feet of Guinea Pigs.
If you don’t want or have the time to write a letter or call, please email me and I have a generic letter written up that you can send by just changing it to fit your thoughts at the end. I also encourage you to go to your local Petco on that date and let everyone know how harmful those exercise balls are for guinea pigs.

Thank you,

With modifications to include rats and chins?

menagerie1013

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:05 am

By all means sign the petition, but individual emails, snail mails and telephone complaints are more effective. If you email, snail mail and telephone it counts as three separate complaints and is taken much more seriously than an on-line petition that doesn't really take a lot of effort on behalf of the signers. An extra bonus is that when you call the toll free number, it actually costs them money.

Link to on-line complaint form

PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc.
Customer Relations Team
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121
Phone: 1-888-824-PALS(7257) (7 days a week)

In addition to the guinea pigs, please mention the fact that chinchillas are prone to overheating which often ends in death and that rats are susceptible to highly contagious airborne pathogens.

When you receive your canned response, use that as another opportunity to respond and point out the error of their ways.

menagerie1013

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:09 am

MotaroRIP, is it possible to change your petition. The reason the balls are bad for chinchillas is overheating which leads to heat stroke and death, not that it's bad for their spines.