Guinea Pigs need our help!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:37 am

It looks very professional!

For the members who aren't aware - "PetC O" is automatically changed to PetNo on the GL site.

To reach Lynx's page, type "www.guinealynx.info/PETC O.html", without the space.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:34 am

tracis, I'm thinking I ought to disable that, esp if I can't even post a link to that page (didn't think of it).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:37 am

Okay, you should be able to get to the link now:

www.guinealynx.info/petco.html

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:19 pm

I just got back the form crap from Petco:

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your concern about the upcoming Hamster Ball Derby and Critter Run.

Our concerns, like yours, include animal care and safety at all our events. In planning the upcoming race event, we took into account the following considerations:

* We’ve conducted national Hamster Ball Derbies several times without a single health or safety incident. Last March, for example, more than 12,000 hamsters raced at PETCO stores nationwide with no reports of health risks or problems among participating animals or pet parents.
* Customers who enjoyed those previous, incident-free hamster race events requested that we allow other animals to participate.
* We asked our chief veterinarian and Animal Care & Education team for their recommendation about allowing other animals to participate. They said it would be safe to allow mice, gerbils, rats, chinchillas and guinea pigs to race as well, as long as all small animals race in appropriately sized exercise balls.
* Our store associate training guide for this event states the importance of keeping different species from mixing together; properly cleaning and disinfecting the race track; and ensuring customers rest their pets between race heats.
* Our event brochures encourage customers to hold “training sessions” with their pets at home to help ensure their small animals will be comfortable in the hamster balls and be able to participate.
* Participants clearly see their pets as part of the family and enjoy these all-for-fun competitions as another way to celebrate the human-animal bond.

We appreciate and share your concern. Pet safety is a top priority at our store events and in all we do at PETCO. We are proud of our record and will continue to take prudent steps to ensure the upcoming derby and critter run is a fun and safe event for all participants.

Sincerely,

Bonnie M.
Customer Relations Coordinator

At PETCO, Animals Always Come First... Our People Make it Happen!

"Animals always come first... unless that gets in the way of profits, in which case we can assure people that the vet we pay six figures to say these things will support us."

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Not so cool.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:15 pm

That's typical of them. Grr.

They're selling hairless hamsters now?!

http://www.petco.com/caresheets/small%2 ... irless.pdf

menagerie1013

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks to everyone that has emailed PetCo. Let's keep this going. Everyone that has received their canned response, reply and point out the flaws in their logic. Point out that although the event might be fine for hamsters, it is not fine for other animals. They may not have had any problems in previous years, but that was just hamsters.

Send them a snail mail letter and phone them. The more complaints they receive, the more notice they will take. It's not just one forum that is participating. The chinchilla and rat people are complaining also. It takes many people coming together to make a change.

PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc.
Customer Relations Team
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121
Phone: 1-888-824-PALS(7257) (7 days a week)

An animal activist friend of mine was telling me today that for every email complaint sent it is looked at by corporations as 10 people having the same opinion and not responding. Every snail mail complaint counts as 100 people not responding. Each and every complaint adds up.

Henle15

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:55 pm

I have emailed the ASPCA, and Animal Rights Foundation of Florida, I hope they decide to get involved. Also I will be emailing many of the media outlets here in South Florida. I hope this helps!! Thanks for all the support!!!

Annie K

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:23 am

I sent another e-mail and will send snail mail and call as well. I can make myself into a real pest if need be!

land_hermie

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:00 am

Their reply is crappy, in my opinion.

land_hermie

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:08 am

Can't disease spread from these Critter Runs?

land_hermie

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:15 am

I made another page about this:
http://www.freewebs.com/littlewheeks/pe ... rderby.htm

If there are any errors in it, please tell me.