Critical care mix-ins

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:57 pm

I'm looking for some ideas to keep Smudgie interested in his critical care and/or pellet mush he gets at night. He is the strangest pig in the entire world and he doesn't have a sweet tooth so the things I used for Piggy like baby apples, peaches, etc are no good. I know, he's a very, very weird pig.

So now I'm looking for green vegetable baby foods but the thing is they're almost all mixed with some kind of starch. Since the actual consumed amount would be small, is this ok? I remember seeing today peas & rice and spinach & potato. The latter was the biggest concern for me. Is cooked potato the same no-no as raw potato which I know is toxic (it's toxic to humans too I believe).

I think I went to the only grocery store in town that doesn't carry Odwalla juices, but I'm going to try that green Superfood stuff as soon as I go back out. Do you folks mix that instead of water/Pedialyte or in addition to?

Just for completeness, his mix right now is: pellets, Pedialyte, pumpkin, and a pinch of plain old fashioned oats. He's being supplemented to keep weight on as he approaches his senior years.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:59 pm

Try sweet potato or just plain spinach. You can also mash up your own if you have a coffee grinder or similar.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 pm

I thought about sweet potato but am thinking it's too sweet? I saw some plain squash too but is that sweet? Been a long time since I was eating baby foods ya know. He's very strange. He'd rather eat hay than watermelon. I'm trying hard to find just plain spinach but it seems to be unpopular. I forgot some stuff at the store today so I need to go back and will pick a store with better selection.

Unfortunately I only have a big blender/foodprocessor so making my own is out until I move. I'm not buying anything else to schlep.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Hiya,

I know Peter Gurney wasn't the best at everything, but I remember reading something he wrote saying cooked potatos were ok for guinea pigs. He mentioned mixing it with bran. I've never tried it though, as I don't think my lot would like it.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:47 pm

I have used everything from pedialyte, apple juice, baby food and canned pumpkin.
The only mix-in I get a thumbs up all the time is chopped fresh wheatgrass. I cut them into tiny pieces with a pair of scissors, much easier then with a knife. Then throw in a little pedidalyte to the mix.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:55 pm

I did get some quick grow wheat grass from my secret santa. I've been saving it until after I move, but I guess I could break it out now.

Katrina
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:58 pm

I find that Lennie likes it better if it's warm. I mix with pedialyte and microwave for about 10 seconds. I have tried a variety of other mix-ins and he hasn't been excited about any of them.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:58 pm

I just started a new batch on carefresh instead of potting soil on Friday night. Today is day,..... 5!
It is actually working better than potting soil for me at the moment, no mess!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Oh my gosh CAREFRESH! Why didn't I think of that? Momo is a GENIUS! Now I have to go find some Carefresh.

P.S. Momo, I want some Whoppers please.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:03 pm

I was too lazy to run downstairs to the storage to get our potting soil, so I looked around and ,... *ding ding*

What about I keep the Whoppers on the left, you get the chopsticks on the right? :p

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:05 pm

You've obviously never seen me try to eat with chopsticks. I have been told "if you ever go to China, you will be very hungry." Direct quote.

micmik326

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:22 pm

I don't know if they still make it but Gerber used to have plain creamed spinach. It was my daughter's favorite! Blehh, I used to gag while feeding her and she loved the stuff.