Silky's very bad vet/health report

Piggywig

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:44 pm

I have put off writing about this, but I wanted everyone to know, so maybe you all could think of us, and maybe send us prayers...

Silky was dragging her back leg, so the next day I took her to the vet recommended by WEAVER (thank you) and they worked us in that day. I put Silky in a big carrier, piled high with the fleece bedding, and an easy flip open top. I was there from 7 am to 4 pm, and I must say, I did enjoy hanging out all day with my little Silky girl, hand-feeding hay and pellets and letting her chomp-chomp on her water bottle tube all she wanted. She went from carrier to lap, as she desired.

However, the results were not good. The doctor was super nice, but she said that Silky's heartbeat was much too hard and fast, even for an excited pig (which she really wasn't very much by the time we went into the exam room). She said her condition is cachexia, which means she is in weight loss mode, where she is losing muscle tone, even though she is eating a lot. Her weight on 6-27-07 was 794g, but on the vet visit, 9-14-07, it was 637g.

They took her blood and Xrays. From these results the vet said she has pre-renal issues, and that her kidneys are not in top function. This is not good news especially for Silky, who drinks almost 8oz of water a day. Her potassium is low. She has tiny bladder stones.

She also showed ovarian cysts (for the first time) that are likely cancerous. She has a mega-colon and cecum, but they are not impacted, but she may have felicular cancer. She did see gas too, and recommended I continue to give her the gas medicine and the benebac.

The Xray also showed that her back leg had a very old fracture in it, that had healed long ago, probably before I got her. She has never been dropped or mishandled in my presence. The doctor said that the leg must have just started bothering her. She will bear weight on it when she wants to stand up tall against the side of the cage to wheek for lettuce. Luckily, Silky is still very active and eats and drinks well.

The doctor was almost crying when she told me about these things. She had held Silky to Xray her and Silky is so funny and sweet. She said the only reason Silky was still alive was because she had had such good care and love. She gave me Metacam for pain for her, and said if such a time came that Silky was no longer happy with her life and in severe pain, she would walk me through the steps... well, you know.

So, Moose and I are doing our best, and her cage looks like a snowstorm of tissues (she likes them in her houses to pee on and sleep on).

Thanks for reading this far. I didn't put this in the Medical forum, because it isn't like there is a cure. But if you have a suggestion for a good, non-gassy source of potassium, please let me know. And I do have to travel soon, and I am worried about that. So please think of us.

Thanks,
Bethany,
Silky & Moose

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:50 pm

I am so sorry to hear this heartbreaking news. Thoughts and prayers are with you, Silky and Moose.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm so sorry, it's such sad news. I will keep you, Moose and Silky in my thoughts. She sounds like a wonderful piggy girl and is clearly very loved.

Tammy

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Sorry to hear about Silky's condition. I'll keep you and your little ones in my thoughts =)

land_hermie

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:03 pm

That sounds horrible! The poor thing! I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope she lives long.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 pm

I am terribly sorry. Prayers for you and Silky that the day where she's unhappy doesn't come for a long, long time.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Our hearts are with you and Silky and Moose. I hope she has many happy and relaxing days to come.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:39 pm

What heart breaking news for you to get. I hope Silky still has many more happy days with you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 pm

I am so sorry. This is so hard for you both.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm sorry, Piggywig.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:24 pm

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to call me today and check on Twinkle. That was so kind of you. If you need anything, or need to talk, you know where to find me. Maybe we can comfort one another through these trying times. I know what you are going through.

While you are out of town, if you need help with Silky let me know.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 pm

I'm very sorry your vet gave you such a grim diagnosis.

However, many of her symptoms point to heart issues. Heart meds might, at least, make her feel a little better for now.