Good vibes needed for Mama Cherry's spay today

Allysse

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:07 pm

My vet was a little worried about her because she wasn't moving much at the clinic. I brought her home and had the same worries, but then I put her long time buddy Nelle in with her and that helped considerably. Nelle is a big fat calm pig so it worked out well to put her in with her. As soon as Nelle saw that Mama Cherry was in the cage she went over and gave her many big licks on the ears and face. She was pretty happy to have her buddy back again.

Nelle started eating which got Mama Cherry to eat and drink too. She has voluntarily ate pellets, hay, a slice of apple, and drank out of the water bottle. I'm pretty proud of this old girl.

Tomorrow I'll get pics of the incision. It's gorgeous! :)

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm sending all my best wishes for a speedy recovery. My sow Jenna was spayed last month due to cysts too! And she is doing so great, and has so much more energy. I wish the same for sweet Mama Cherry! You did the right thing.

before:

after:

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Those are great pictures. Poor Jenna! She must feel much better after her spay.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:53 pm

She does! She has so much more energy, and her coat is so shiny now, and to think I did not want to do it for fear of the surgery.

Alysse, she did have one day where she didn't poop very much, but I got her through with handfeeding and pumpkin mash. I hope Mama Cherry does well!

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:37 am

Feel better, Mama Cherry!

NiniAriane

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:58 am

We wish a speedy recovery for Mama Cherry.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 am

Go Mama Cherry!

How is she today?

Allysse

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:24 am

It's morning and she's alive! Nelle stole her heat pad but I suppose Nelle was her heat pad too.

Her tummy has been gurgling. Not often, but like three times last night. And loudly too, like a human.

Pics later...

UP Lisa

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:35 am

I pray for Mama Cherry to have an easy recovery, and a longer life.

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm glad she's doing well. Charlotte, a pig of mine that passed a couple years ago would not eat or drink after spay surgery for cysts. I had been told to keep her seperate from the other pigs for a few days by friends on some other boards. But that was bad advice in Charlotte's case. As soon as I gave in and put her with the others she made a 360 degree turn in improvement and got all better. I hope the same is true for Mama Cherry and she continues to improve.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Oh poor Cherry! I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope she continues to get better.

Allysse

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 pm

amy m guinea, thanks for sharing pics. I might not have noticed how less pear shaped Mama looks now without those comparison pics. Fascinating how different she can look! Did Jenna lose hair too? Did it grow back pretty fast?

MC pics:
Nelle and Mama Cherry

More pics