My birthday present

archichik

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:26 pm

I had to share this with you guys.

My husband collected and gave me a series of four Jean-Pierre guinea pig books for my birthday this week. He searched them all out and got them all from auctions. What a sweetie!!!

Have you guys seen these books? They have the cutest crayon-type illustrations!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:41 pm

I´m not familiar with them. Maybe you could post a pic of a sample? It would give us some idea of what they are like.

That does sound like an awfully thoughtful thing to do. You must have found one of the good ones.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archichik

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:43 pm

I´ll scan some tomorrow. We´ve started a collection of guinea pig children´s books. I am surprised just how many there are. The Jean-Pierre books, I believe, are by a French Canadian author. There´s another book we´ve gotten recently called "Olga de Polga" that also has really cute illustrations.

Our poor kids (when we have some).... Wow, Mom. Another story about a guinea pig!

Laura823

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:52 pm

Oh, they sound great! What a wonderful gift! :) I´ve heard of Olga da Polga (never actually seen it though) but not the others.

I would love to get some books about guinea pigs. Right now I am trying to find the two books I am missing out of the 4-book Max series. (Max is an orange manx cat who goes saerching all over the world for his tail. Ever heard of it? I think it was later made into a TV show.) Anyway, I hope I´m as successful in finding them as your husband was!

Enjoy your books!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:38 pm

Lucky you and happy birthday. Could you post the titles of those books. I have the one called "The day the Guinea Pig Talked". I love the illustrations. I wasn´t aware that there were more books about Jean-Pierre.
Last edited by GP Lover on Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:05 pm

What is the name of the author? Since I´m a French Canadian myself, I´d like to get those books for my son.

We have the series about Caramel, the guinea pig, but the books are in French. Apparently, in English, he´s called Fluffy. The author is Kate McMullan.

http://www.katemcmullan.com/

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:08 pm

cea2001

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:03 am

If memory serves, "Olga Da Polga" was written by Dick King-Smith (who also wrote ´The Sheep Pig´ which was made into the film ´Babe´.) He´s a superb children´s author. Another great book of his is ´The Fox Busters´ - all about a group of hens who decide to fight back!

Alfie

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:11 am

Cea, I think Olga Da Polga was actually by Michael Bond, who wrote the Paddington Bear series.

Archichik, that´s a really sweet present. Happy birthday.

---

Oh, I just ran a search on Jean-Pierre, and discovered the books were written by Paul Gallico! He also wrote the Mrs Harris book series, as well as The Snow Goose and Jennie - both lovely allegorical animal stories.

Here is a site with scanned covers:

http://www.paulgallico.info/guineapigtalked.html

I think Paul Gallico was American, although I can´t be certain.
Last edited by Alfie on Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:25 am

I remember being entranced by "The Abandoned" when I read it as a child. And we also had a copy of "Too Many Ghosts". The Paul Galico site sums up "The Abandonded" as: This is the story of a young boy called Peter, who is knocked down by a car. To his considerable astonishment, when he recovers, he is not a young boy, but a cat! He meets another cat, Jennie, who educates him in the wiles of the feline world. I think some books are other-worldly and really make an impression on young minds.

Alfie

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:26 pm

Hmm. Lynx, "The Abandoned" seems to have been released as "Jennie" here. How odd.

cea2001

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:51 pm

Alfie - I must be getting old and forgetful!

I love the Paddington books too and the Wombles (although that´s a different author).

archichik

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:41 pm

Yes. He was American, now that I´ve read the entire dust jacket. The four books are:
"The Day the Guinea Pig Talked" illustrated by Dulac
"The Day Jean-Pierre Was Pignapped" illustrated by Dulac (the cutest illustrations!!) - from the Coquitlam Public Library in Coquitlam, BC
"The Day Jean-Pierre Joined the Circus" illustrated by Gioia Fiammenghi
"The Day Jean-Pierre Went Round the World" illustrated by Gioia Fiammenghi - from Parkland Regional Library in Lacombe, Alberta

I´ll try to scan some images for posting.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:49 pm

I wonder if the Coquitlam Public Library knows you have that book? Very suspicious.

archichik

Post   » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:06 pm

I´ll only admit to buying a hot book... I´ve never been to Coquitlam - I swear.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:10 pm

I should drive over there and tell them you have their book. Just 30 min. away.

cmtigger

Post   » Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:45 pm

Hey, I have a friend who lives there! Coquitlam, that is! small world.

The "Fluffy" books are cute, I have three of them, Scholastic publishes them here. I borrowed "Olga Da Polga" from the school down the street to read- it is fun, my mom was amazed that I had never read it, I had to remind her that it had been out of print for years. My two favorites are a book about plus ones, and it´s sequal about minus ones. "One Guinea Pig is Not Enough" and "Twenty is Too Many" both by Kate Duke. I also have a couple by Dick King- Smith, the author of "Babe." "I Love Guinea Pigs" and "Jenius; The Amazing Guinea Pig."

17 posts • Page 1 of 1