Cage Safety Check Time! - Tragic Story

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:51 pm

I don't think the ties lose their strength but with the cage being jostled and bounced on by zoomie piggies, the wiggling can cause them to become loose. I have gone through my cages and re-tightened the ones that I could. If I'd cut the ties too close to effectively re-tighten, I replaced them.

Also, I have a tie on every possible connection point. The corners have 3 grids per tie for added sturdiness.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm so sorry for your friends loss. Thank you for posting this. I will certainly be inspecting my cages.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:29 pm

I tend to over use cable ties. I use them on the entire cage, not just tehe 2nd level. I also support my second level in the middle so it doesn't sag at all. My pigs RUN across and it takes a pounding. Better safe than sorry.

I am so sorry this happened to you friend.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:40 pm

What a sad story. Thanks for the reminders to do safety checks. We, too, tend to overbuild the cage with supports, connectors, cable ties, etc. You just never know.

Our little pigs sometimes seem so strong and capable that it's easy to forget what fragile creatures they really are.

Perhaps, like with smoke detectors, cage construction safety checks should be done a month after the initial build and then every six months just to make sure everything is still in good working order.

EllieMom

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:31 pm

Thank you for the reminder, Elly. It made take a few minutes when I was cleaning out the cage today and reinforce everything. While their cage is open, my girls tend to congregate under the loft and I could see that very thing happening to us.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:51 pm

This is a scary story!!!
We are planning on using sturdy mesh to cover the cage at night and when we go out since we read that. we wanted to use shelving, but now I don't think I will.

amptondooz

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm so sorry for your friends tragic loss, I will start checking the cage safety more often. Thank you for the warning.

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:57 pm

What a horrible thing to have to go through.

I know with my family they have had a tendency to want to lean on the top levels when looking for a hiding pig etc.

The top has sagged a little at times, and needed tightening and reinforcement. I am going to go and check my ties now.

If they are old or exposed to sunlight, they may fail.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:15 pm

I also don't know how the plastic might respond over time to various cleaning agents (e.g. vinegar). So, even if a cage isn't exposed to sunlight or excessive pig zooming, it is probably a good idea for anyone that uses the ties to check them periodically and replace any weary ones.

lisam

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:12 pm

we wanted to use shelving, but now I don't think I will.

Oh, I think shelving tops are safe, if secured correctly. The back half of my tops are attached with several plastic ties, so they are immovable. The front part, the part that opens, could conceivably come loose, which is why it's a good idea to check the ties periodically. I don't fasten the front part closed (I don't have dogs) but many of my adopters use clips, carabiners, or other fasteners that contribute to the secureness.

Graid

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Oh, that is such a sad story, very sorry for all those concerned, and especially for the poor pig. I don't have a roof on my C&C cage so I'm not concerned about that specifically, but I did have a worrying thing happen with a previous hapharardly put together cage made my parents when I was growing up. Some guinea pigs we had lived in a hutch sort of cage indoors that had the hutch front lifted up so it was open and a little homemade pen on the ground they could go out in that was fenced from the rest of the room with various bits of wood. But part of the barrier was a grid that was actually a hayrack from the 'guinea pig cage' we had used for gerbils, with fairly widely spaced bars on it. We had fairly young guinea pigs at the time, and one of them was having a run outside the cage, supervised, when he suddenly tried to get back into the pen. He made for the grid barrier, which had bars wide enough for him to try and put his young guinea pig head through. You can probably guess what happened then. He got his head jammed in the bars. Safe to say if that had happened when no-one was looking he probably would have choked. I know, that's just common sense, not to have large grids when young guinea pigs are about..

kokiepbmommy

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 am

That is so awful...I can't even imagine.

We had someone build our cavy cage for us. I never even thought to check for safety (ignorant I know).
Thank you for posting this.

32 posts