Safety Warning for Target Fleece Blankets (sold last year)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:47 am

Last night Neal was acting weird. I tried to move the blanket that was near him and found that he was caught IN it. He'd gotten his front legs/head/chest stuck through a small opening in the binding where it had come loose. The opening was surprisingly small (if you remember, Neal is a 3lb + pig). I checked the blanket in Gopher's pen and found that it also had a small gap in the binding.

Fortunately, Neal appears to be fine, but he does have some brusing under one front leg.

Please - if you are using the Target blankets (or any blankets with binding) check them! Mend or cut off any gaps in the binding. I really couldn't believe that Neal managed to get himself caught in such a small space. I don't know how long he was like that, either. Very frightening.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:02 pm

How scary!

So glad that Neal is not seriously hurt, and I hope that his bruise heals fast.

dribble

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Oh my. I'm so sorry! This kind of unexpected danger gives me nightmares.

Something new to worry about now. I double-check my cable ties, ramps, dishes, and water bottles, I'm careful not to use fabric softeners, smell the hay for mold, watch the veggies they get, listen for weird breathing sounds, lumps or behavior. What am I forgetting...

Is there anyone left out there who thinks guinea pigs are an easy pet?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Can you post a picture? I think I have a lot of blankets with that binding.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:55 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... get+dollar

You do. Scroll down. You posted a picture of the blanket on this thread.

My suggestion is to fix them or cut any loose binding off.

I took away the tents from the boys a while ago because they were eating it.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:22 pm

That's hilarious, using my own pictures against me! I'm glad you did though. I was thinking of a different dollar target blanket, with stitching on the edges. I'm not crafty so my definition of "binding" is quite a big more vague than the normal person. I only have the tent available for occasional floortime as mine were chowing down on the ties. I've never had a problem with them chewing the blankets but I also use those for lap/floor time too so they aren't in the cage.

Poor Neal. I hope his pride has recovered.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:30 pm

I think I know the ones you mean. It's more like a fancy stitch on the end in bright thread?

That's the the other thing - they don't eat the blankets, I just think the blankets lost the thread holding the binding on and the biding came away from the blanket.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:31 pm

How scary. Thanks for posting the info.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Ironic that I saw this. I have just this minute, come from the vet. I grabbed our old Target blankie (the one sort of shaped like a dog bone) which I bought last year when everybody was posting about the $1.00 stuff at Target. While waiting for the vet, I noticed that the binding was coming undone and that the stuffing was showing. I guess those things have about a one year life, then time to dispose of them!

rshevin

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:54 pm

At least you got your money's worth Amy. ;)

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:30 pm

I use small stacking bins turned upside down as hidey's for the pigs . I also use these to hold veggies grains and hay . I am thinking I have so many baby blankets from all my kids I might use them in the regular pen rather than the disposable bedding . I am using fleece on my one that is injured and I have noticed that it takes a lot more cleaning are there tricks ? LOL

rshevin

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:46 pm

It takes time and practice to adjust to fleece. I personally feel the work evens out (a little every day versus one huge, heavy cleaning once a week).