Petsmart supplier under investigation

papiggieluverz

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 pm

"papiggieluverz... just out of curiosity, what are your other reasons besides animal cruelty?"

Animal Cruelty is the top reason. But there are many other places to buy your pet food, bedding, etc. at other places that DON'T sell animals. I forget the last time I was actually in a pet store that sold animals. I went there to return pellets with junk in them and weird bedding that came in with surrenders, and I had the receipt.

We have a pet warehouse in our area, that doesn't sell animals, only supplies. I don't want any part of pet stores or to support them in anyway.

Piggiecavyguinea

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Same with me. Pet Food Express sells no animals, so I go there

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 pm

I go to big surface stores instead and order online for things I can't find here, unless shipping is outrageous.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 am

Anyone else get a letter back ?

Dear Naomi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact PetSmart. We're very concerned
about some of the images in the PETA video and are looking into the
allegations that have been raised. For all the details on the Rainbow
investigation and PETA's other campaigns, please visit
www.petsmartfacts.com. We will be updating this site as more
information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Manager
PetSmart.com

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 am

So I went to check out their side and it is a whole lot of bullhockey non-sense that really doesn't address the issues merely sidesteps them or denies them. Not that I expected differently.

papiggieluverz

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:50 am

"When PetSmart vets have visited Rainbow’s facility (including unannounced visits), they have found those standards in place. "

That's a bunch of bull. Of course they have found the standards in place, the pictures show what they think the "standard" care should be. They are disgusting.

Ceetee

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 am

I won't go near PetSmart, but Petco I will still go to. The Petco's in my area (and especially by my house) don't carry many small animals at all. They have an adoption station and encourage people to check there first before buying one of their pets.

When I was at the one by me the other week getting litter for the cages, they had foster hamsters from a local rescue for adoption. Their cages have never been overcrowded, (most of their cages are empty anywaya) and they do take care of their animals. One guinea pig was quarintined (poor thing!) but they were trying to keep him comfy.

I was talking to one of the employees and she said their manager only orders the bare minimum of animals they can get away with, and tells everyone to send people to Petfinder and local shelters first.

My Petco is prolly an exception as I'm sure there are bad Petco's out there too, but it's nice to know that not all of them are the same, and there are managers who are trying to bring about change from within the system.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am

Are the Rainbow facilities the suppliers of Rainbow Food as well ?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 am

Even IF your Petco is OK, supporting them supports them all since it is a corporation. Don't buy anything from Petco, Superpetz, Petsmart etc. If you want to go in and raise hell over the care of the animals, by all means do so. But DO NOT leave one red cent at their store and be sure to tell them why you won't buy anything there.

Upinthehills

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 pm

If you do the above, please make sure it's the manager you are talking to and not the high school kid behind the register. The manager will be able to say something to their corporate offices, the high school kid will just think you're a crazy lady. :o)

Ceetee

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:19 pm

One problem, There isn't a pet store anywhere near me that doesn't sell mill animals. Even the independents sell them. If I'm lucky sometimes I find the litter I use at Wal Mart (yet another 'big evil corp'), but for the most part it's Petco.

I was planning to move them over to fleece, but once my apt. system raised the cost of laundry to $6 a load on the 3rd, there's no way I can afford it! Once I move, different story, but for now, it's all I got.

meggielou

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Anyone else get a letter back ?

I got a long defensive letter about 5 paragraphs long. It made me sick to my stomach.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:05 pm

I haven't gotten an email back, something tells me I won't. I felt nauseous after watching it. Those poor, poor animals.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Check your junk mail . I replied to the one I got and no response yet .

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:13 pm

If you mean the Kaytee Rainbow food, then no. But Kaytee operates a bird pet mill and incidentally sells to Petsmart.

It's full of colored bits anyway so you shouldn't be buying it.

Piggiecavyguinea

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:38 pm

***********Anyone else get a letter back ?

Dear Naomi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact PetSmart. We're very concerned
about some of the images in the PETA video and are looking into the
allegations that have been raised. For all the details on the Rainbow
investigation and PETA's other campaigns, please visit
www.petsmartfacts.com. We will be updating this site as more
information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Manager
PetSmart.com********************

I got the same reply. I asked something else and it was once again the same.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:42 pm

They usually send canned responses.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm

I got a long defensive letter in return, too. It was a bunch of crap!

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Yes I got the same exact word for word responmse on my second inquiry .

Sus ,
I don't know what brand it is it looked like colored catfood. I don't buy that , that is what one of my piggies was on when he came here . I was just thinking if it is the same company there is one more strike against them for making crap food too .

papiggieluverz

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:54 pm

It's just very disgusting, that these evidence photos continue to show up and they are still able to sell animals.

48 posts