Chicory/Endive

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Looks like frissee to me. Our boys love it! I think it's okay, too. I just got a head of organic batavia. It's so nice to finally have something other than romaine available.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm

My pigs love frisee so much I grow it in my garden. It's easy as pie, requiring very little care. All the endives I've grown are easy.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 pm

It looks like curly endive to me. I buy it a lot. That's a big head though.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 pm

No one got to taste the mystery green last night because I'm trying very hard to keep Piggy on the stones diet, to the point of weighing different greens to get the right total ratio.

The head probably isn't as big as it looks. It's been taken apart and soaked in the sink because there was loads of dirt in there. It was a pretty small, tightly packed head. Probably larger than my cat's skull, but not by a whole lot.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:08 pm

So I'm back at Whole Foods (using their wifi). The reason they couldn't find this in the book the first time is it's listed as "Frisse Endive." Except, spelled correctly. Good to know. I bought more! They're having better greens than Publix this time of year plus it's an excuse to buy my new favorite pita chips and jelly beans with no red food coloring!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:10 pm

Yum, frissee. Lady Bug loves it, I hate it, too bitter for me.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:34 pm

LOL I just bought 10 heads for 75 cents each today.

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:12 am

Darn! I've been buying Belgium endive for my guys. THat 's they only kind I've seen here. This stuff is a fortune. Pigs sure love it though.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 am

That is escarole (an italian chicory)
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/vege ... hicory.htm

For some reason NO stores I found have a sign or tag stating what it is and I get asked each and everytime.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:38 am

Geesh, it has to be so complicated! What I bought looks like what Deb just posted, but the sign at whole foods definitely says Frissee Endive and other people above had pictures matching that name too. Alright, surely we have a horticulturist on this board SOMEWHERE!

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:40 am

Yours doens't look as sticky as the escarole though it looks like endive.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:57 am

Frisee or curley endive looks like this
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/spNetwo ... t&WCE=Main

I do not think they are the same thing as I posted above.

edit: I just found this describing them both:
http://www.italianseedandtool.com/Endive%20Seed.0.html