Show your cage... again!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:04 am

Princess, do your girls actually go up that ramp? My pigs would never climb something that steep.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:06 am

You mean the big ramp?, yes, they do! pretty fast even lol.

They don't got any problem in going up and down of it.

lisam

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Jenn, I have cage setups like yours in my rescue. I do something different for the "doors"--

This one was taken on a cleaning day--

papiggieluverz

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:52 pm

lisam, I love your cage doors! That is such a clever idea! :)

lisam

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks, it was my husband's doing. We used the 12" shelving instead of the 18" so we can easily throw in hay and bedding without taking them off.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Oooo! Lisam, I like those doors too. What do you use for your hay rack? And I'm assuming you use aspen/carefresh or something instead of fleece? What do you? I'm thinking of going to aspen or something instead of fleece for my "dirty" girls. :) I have 2 foster girls that just make a mess out of there area. I'm thinking maybe they'd do better w/ aspen instead. Anyways, I just LOVE those shelving units. Did you know that Lowe's isn't carrying that kind/brand anymore. I had to special order mine. They have one almost exactly the same except it's now black and costs alittle more. Not sure what the difference is.

lisam

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:05 pm

I use a wood pellet base covered with shavings. I don't use hayracks--pigs love to tunnel underneath and lie on top of the hay, so I just throw in a big old pile of it! It's all gone within a day, usually faster.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:19 am

Very nice setup, Lisam!

I love the little white pig in the bottom cage, peeking out. :)

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:30 am

Ok, here's a semi-dumb question: I've heard a few people talk about this wood pellet base covered w/ shavings. Where does one get this and is it pretty cheap?? Thanks!

NiniAriane

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Is there a chrome wire shelving that can fit a 2x% C&C cage? I have been looking at shelving.com and it seems like the widest they have can only fit 4 grids. I was thinking of using it to build the piggie condo when we move, as it would be easier to move when we move again in 3 years, and not to mention it has wheels, and that is always a plus for cleaning. If I can't find one that would fit 5 grids, I might have to stick to the one that fits 4, I will get 2 18x34 and put them together to fit the 2x4 C&C. I was planning on making 2 condo units, but I checked the price and it will cost a lot. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:03 pm

I cleaned the giant cage for the first time tonight, it was really easy! Just what I was hoping for. I scooped out in 2x5 sections, because that's when my trash can filled up. I put clean bedding in the section and moved to the next. Most of the girls moved to the clean section with the fresh hay, others stayed in the dirty bedding. By the time I got to the last section, I only had to move 3 piggies to the clean side... they were cowering in the corner afraid I'd scoop em up and put em in the trash.

So, I'm happy. Cleaned the giant cage tonight after just getting out of the hospital after a 2 day stay. I imagine if I felt better it would be even easier... even take the pigs out to scrub the cage down.

Hope my antibiotics kick in soon so I can get busy on taking apart the rest of the condo's and make room for the boys big cage.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:05 am

JennG, ,the wood pellets are commonly used for horse stalls so anywhere that sells horse feed should have them. Two brand names are Woody Pet and Equine Fresh. Both are around 6-7 dollars for a 30-40 pound bag. You can also use wood stove pellets (without added fire starter chemicals). One 30-40 pound bag will cover a 2x4 nicely, then add aspen shavings over the top. They are nice, I use them in my hayboxes but they are heavy to lug around and clean out.