Show your cage... again!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:43 am

We posted at the sametime :)

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 am

We also used about 700 heavy duty zip ties!

Here is a picture of how it opens (sorry they are small, photobucket automatically resized them, i'll have to fix that)

It is just 2 levels, but we made the bottom level with the extra grid high so that I could get in there to clean it. I can reach everything by leaning in, but I can get in there if I need to.

It is all enclosed because we have cats, dogs, and a baby:) Nobody is getting in and nobody is getting out, lol. He even made little latches to hold the doors in place so that can't be opened accidentally.

As far as reaching the back of the top level we did this:

I couldn't reach the back of the cage without the front opening like that.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:34 am

Momof, can you snap close up shots of the wood supports your husband did?

I have been trying to figure out how to make the cages sturdier. I am going to have to rework them in another week when Eddie moves in with Dad and Uncle. 3 boars will need a lot of room.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 am

Ok, is anyone else getting an itch to redo their cages? I must stop looking at cages! I must stop looking at cages. :)

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 am

Mmm... I've been dreaming about adding to my cage's second level.

I like the wood supports. Great idea.

DaCourt

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 am

I am planning on redoing the pig room just a little. After Winky died, we had to shuffle pigs around so I think I have a pan. But I want to incorporate a space for the AC unit, so it can just be pulled out when in use. The biggest problem has been cleanging the stacked cages. I think making them with an extra level in between mightbe the answer.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:54 am

My cages are so much easier to clean without that extra level in the middle. It is also easier to take care of the pigs, refill hay, feed veggies etc.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi my name is Lady Bug and you all have seen me before.

But in reading this thread I see my Mom forgot to show you my wonderful cage.

Isn't it just fit for a Queen like me? I have a great life here with my Mom. Speaking of Mom here is a note she wanted you to know.

From Bugs Mom - "In case anyone was wondering what
kind of deplorable conditions Lady Bug is forced to live in, here is
her 2 X 31/2 C & C housing. Around here it's called a clean piggy
palace
."

Eenypup

Post   » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm fairly sure I never posted these pictures. They're older but the cage looks similar, although we use hayracks now.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Here is the latest version of my pig paradise! Excuse the dirty pig laundry on the floor.

lisam

Post   » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:07 pm

Hey all you "handy" people--I need to make a rolling board to put underneath my 2x4 C&C condo. I want it out of wood with some type of wheels that do that go anywhere thing (are these called casters or something?). What type of wood should I use? Would the basic Lowe's or Home Depot employee know what kind of wheel I'm talking about?

Slavetofuzzy, that's quite a cage system you've got there!

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Yes they are casters. How tall is your cage? Would Mr. Weaver's sliding coroplast work for you? They just zip tied a piece of coro to the bottom of the cage I think, so it slides around.