Show your cage... again!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Just part of the box. 6 large-hole grids per box judging from the picture on the front.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:26 pm

My target still has the original grids. I hope they keep them. I think I will also email them.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:28 pm

rshevin...be careful with those too. If you count the squares on the original grids, you will have 9 openings. The box that has the 6 really large holed grids, well the remaining grids only have 8 openings. That means the spaces are larger and could be dangerous.

Sammiannes Man

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 pm

So they went from 81 holes per grid all the way down to 36?

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:46 pm

The new boxes come with 2 different sized grids:

1 size with 64 holes per grid
1 size with 25 holes per grid (Just checked...there are 5 not 6 openings)

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 pm

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that I did get a response back from Target and while they were interested in the cages and thought that was great, they are not looking to carry the old style grids again. Very sad indeed.

I personally am going to go to Target and stock up so my herd has grids if I need to replace them for any reason. It is a real shame they are discontinuing the grids for good. Maybe if more of you sent e-mails we could make them understand what a difference these grids make for small animals...?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:12 pm

We bough 2 boxes of the "newer" grids at Target over a month ago. When we redid the cage, we used the "bigger opening grids" for cage tops and hay racks.
They were already out of the older kind 4 weeks ago here, we tried at 3 different targets in the Bay Area.

This is one of the newer grid.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Holy cow batman! I better go get a few of the boxes. What about Walmart or any of the other stores that carry them? Are they all changing over???

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Oh, dear. Those grids are so not an option for cages.

For hayracks though, they're probably pretty good! Especialy for pigs who don't like hayracks.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Momo, if an adult pig got "crazy" could they get their head stuck?

Hayracks with those grids would waste a lot of hay. I also would be worried about a pig getting caught in the grid while eatting. Mine pull and tug on hayracks.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Mine actually have a problem pulling hay out of the hay rack. Dunno why, but they just don't like to bother with the rack.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 pm

My Target has switched over too. There are still some boxes of blue and black grids in the old style, but not many and you have to look very close. I think a pig could definitely get stuck, although probably around the middle. Look how Beibei's whole head fits in the picture. :-(

Walmart only carries the grids online with their "ship to store" option, LNT and BB&B only have them sometimes at back to school, Lowes and Home Depot are also irregular stockers. I don't have a Sams or Costco card so I can't speak for them. It's going to be a big problem.

I think Momo hit the nail on the head when she said it's to be cheaper. Look how much less metal and thus mass and fuel will be used. Every penny counts. ::sigh::

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Those new grids look scary. Maybe the idea is that you buy two boxes of new for every one box of the old and make the hole half. Good grief!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:38 pm

Someone said even the "regular" grids are bigger now! 8 squares in each direction instead of 9. I am very worried.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:40 pm

Weaver, we already tried that, they would probably be stuck at the tummy, so we changed it to the older grids after that.

Then the newer grids are at the base level and the top level where we put their little things on.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 pm

It is too bad.

At times it can be hard to convince newbies about the wonderful benefits fo these cages, and now with the grid problem on top of it...*sigh*

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 pm

That's a great enclosure, Momo!

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:33 pm

I think I have to go to my Target and buy some. I agree WEAVER, it was such a good option for petstore cage people. Cheap, easy to get, easy to build, customizable. :(

I'm gonna have to get 2 boxes because I have to build a bunny cage AND make some floor time gates.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:57 pm

When you buy a box of all regular grids, they are the same as usual. When you buy the box with the extra large holes, it also comes with what appears to be regular grids. But they aren't. Theyay are bigger...8 holes instead of 9. So they are definately not safe.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:01 pm

I wonder if we could contact the actual company that makes the grids directly and ask them if we could drop ship orders to a wholesaler on a regular basis?

982 posts