Why Limit Carrots?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree with all of the above. I have one little sow and she lives all by herself in a 2 X 31/2 C&C cage.

So true about the training. The only training that will go on in your house will be the pig (s) training you. If you are a good cavy slave, you'll learn easily! : )

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 pm

And yes, I've noticed that the only training Petey will receive is food-related noises.

Any kind of plastic rustling gets him going.

We're in a 1300sq ft townhouse flat and he stays in the back room office with me. Probably furthest distance down hall and around corner is the refrigerator and he gets rocking most any time he hears it shut.

Very acute hearing I can tell and rather poor eyesight, eh?

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Holy Cow...

I'm on a short term Marital TimeOut on accounta my posting the picture with my wife...

If the moderators could be so kind as to Remove that Post, I may get to sleep safely tonight.

Kateo

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Just for the record, even if your cats appear to have no interest, I would still see about covering the cage and cat-proofing for when you aren't home.. There have been way too many tragic accidents involving another animal in the home where the poor piggies passed on. Your cats might think they're playing with dear Petey, but it could be fatal for him. (:

Also, welcome to Guinealynx, great to have you here.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Why? You have a very pretty wife?? The piggy and cat are cute as well.

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:18 pm

BM, I agree totally with your Review, but it's major heat here.

We had a party last year with a group of local friends who fraternize on the sports handicapping forum and I posted some pics from that...two with her and me together...She let those stand, but that's about it.

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 pm

KATEO, I would not create new housing without security from the cats. The Tom seems put off, but basedon his responses, there's probably some jealousy too. All combined could lead to that one sad moment...so will follow your lead.

twofinepigs

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 pm

I don't think Lynx edits posts. Just move the photo off the server, or rename it so the link doesn't work. Easy!

I think it's a great pic, but of course if your wife doesn't want her pic posted it shouldn't be. ;)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 pm

Oh, Petey is a very handsome guy!

Welcome to Guinea Lynx! We look forward to seeing more photos of him, and his new cage. :)

rshevin

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Steve, moderators here rarely interfere with the board. Best way to get the picture down is to delete it from whatever hosting site you used.

Oh you should ALWAYS cat proof. My cat is super sweet to my pigs, when they're in my arms. I would never leave them unattended together. The problem isn't that I fear the cat being aggressive, but rather that I fear him trying to be too friendly and playing with the pigs. Cats love to wrestle and playbite and such that would be deadly to guinea pigs.

This is a broad overview of my cage, but can you see the lid on there? It's that closet shelving stuff. You buy it by the length at places like Home Depot. They cut it to your specs in the store with nifty pneumatic snips. The front of my cage isn't open, it's just showing how I take down the front 2 cubes to make cleaning easier.

Your cage doesn't have to be up high, or have little girlie baskets of course. The website we linked has the best ideas and really easy instructions. I have heard of people using the pond liner kind of things and baby wading pools but honestly, they're more of a pain than anything and you can't cat-proof them. Plus pigs CAN get out of many of them. Most people here have tried just about everything and seriously, these cages rock. Totally customizable to your tastes and space.

Lovemypig

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:57 pm

We need Stomphoof here right now! Steve, Stomphoof (also lives in the central part of your state) was recently new to pigs and GL. He too started off with a petstore cage (needless to say, he returned it).

He was assimilated quite quickly here and his two pigs have him jumping. You should see his cage setup. Stomphoof's learning curve was very steep, needless to say. He's certainly surpassed my simple C&C cage.

Check out the "Show your Cage" thread here in the Cavy Chat.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Your wife is lovely - tell her to let you out of time out :-)

(Or break the link to the photo!).