Why Limit Carrots?

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:58 am

Pig clothes are not so common. I don't know anyone who makes them but a few people find really small dog stuff that the piggies wear for pictures. Think teacup size, but stretchy as pigs are hopefully plump.

Cavies do not perspire and are, in fact, quite prone to overheating. In my house, I provide a frozen water bottle inside a cheap tube sock all day during the summer in addition to my climate control. At best, they can use radiative transfer from the pads on their feet. You can also provide a cheap ceramic tile for them to chill out on (literally).

The way I figure it, if switching your cage around with sports teams keeps you interested in your pet, you're bound to be a better, more observant owner. Probably the easiest way to "bling" your pig cage is stickers on the OUTSIDE of the choro and themed fleece blankets for the bottom.

Please, before you start looking for things to dress the pig up in, get him out of that awful fish tank. Can you imagine how bad it smells in there to him? There's NO circulation. He's stuck breathing in his poo and pee all day. No amount of floortime can compensate for that. www.guineapigcages.com has a great page where you can put in your zipcode and see places people near you have purchased supplies. This weekend would be a great time to get him into a real home.

SteveHeath

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:10 pm

SHEVIN, I'm doing exactly that tomorrow when wife is off work.

heading to Target and/or Staples to score some C&C and should have new home assembled by tomorrow night

Thanks for the feedback on potential for overheating. Leads me to conclude that I need not fear letting him have floor time in my screened in back porch (aka - "Florida room")

It's covered from direct overhead sun and has a tile floor.

Wife objected thinking it would be "too cold" and thought waiting until it gets warmer out seemed right.

Kinda stern given that my average outdoor temps are already in the 70s daytime and only 60s at night.

I did see another Topic that referenced "outdoors is okay provided there are plenty of shade spots"....though this is technically still "in"- doors. No worries about birds of prey etc

SteveHeath

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Lest my cavalier posting style creates a notion that I'm insensitive to cavies being very real beings (dress up ideas etc), please know that is not the case.

I am remiss for not having investigated and found a good discussion Forum like this earlier because indeed I've shortchanged Petey's early lifestyle by this cramped and inappropriate housing

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Steve, be prepared that most sign stores are small mom and pop businesses and not likely to be open tomorrow. You may want to pick up the choro yourself today, if possible. You may even have a hard time finding one open on Saturday.

Your Florida room should be a nice place for piggies to play, especially if the floor is easy to clean. 70F is a nice temperature for piggies. You can always put out a towel tent to snuggle in but since you'll be out there with piggie, you will likely know if he is uncomfortable. There are all kinds of fun things to set up during floortime.

SteveHeath

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Right on...

I'll see if we can get to Target tonight though I gotta tell you that I'm in the most densely populated region of Florida. The major Target/Staples style stores close for Christmas and maybe half of Thanksgiving - but otherwise rock steady all year.

Photos of relieved Petey in new digs to follow ASAP and again thanks for the sensible feedback and counsel within this Thread.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Target isn't the question, it's the sign store to get the plastic material to make the bottom of the cage. Grids are easy to come by.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Welcome, Steve. When you want to add stuff, use your edit button. It works for about 10 minutes, after that, you need a new post. Can't wait to see Petey's new apartment. You'll have fun.

And don't worry about the dressing up. We call it piggy torture. You can tell by the disapproving faces that most piggies detest being dressed and having to wear little hats.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:05 pm

70 degrees is great. You do want to be absolutely sure he can get out of the sun as even moderate temps can cause over heating in the sun.

Zoe

Post   » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:34 pm

SteveHeath: It's very cool that you are open to improvements for your piggy. You and the pig will love the C&C cage. It's frustrating when folks take offense at suggestions to do things differently.

I am bummed I missed the people pictures. I completely understand your wife not wanting her picture posted, but selfishly speaking, it is nice to see who people are. I love that I've gotten to meet several folks on ths board.

Nata

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:09 am

I found piggy clothing on eBay. husband said NO WAY but it was still fun to look.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:01 am

Nata, please provide link! I must look.

Cat_67

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:08 am

You lucky things! Temperatures in the 70's! Just as I thought spring was coming, and Ariel got a taste of the first dandelions, we got temperatures in the low 20's and 15 cms of fresh snow... Anyone living in Alaska that could comfort a frustrated Norwegian? :-) I was hoping to treat my old and very sick cavy to the enjoyments of fresh grass and forages soon, but no.

SteveHeath -welcome to GL! Very glad to hear you are getting Petey out of the fish tank! It's most certainly not suitable for a guinea pig, and you will do much better with a large cage. We don't get the C&C stuff here, but I've used several pet store cages in-line with the end walls taken out so the piggies can jump between them. It's the horizontal space they need.

Personally, I'm not a fan of dressing up guinea pigs, since they don't enjoy it and don't need clothing.

Good luck with Petey and coaxing your wife to let you adopt a buddy for him!