Is there such a thing as a "good" pet store?

Goose

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I've always wondered why Petsmart Charities doesn't just end Petsmart's sale of small animals myself... They don't even seem to train their associates to sex the rodents properly. Just fixing that problem would save so many animals' lives.

Many years ago I bought two hamsters from Petsmart and learned the hard way that they're generally not knowledgeable. A few weeks later I found a litter of babies in the cage with my two "males". GRRRR!

Back then I didn't even know you could adopt anything other than cats and dogs from the SPCA. Now I'd never support the sale of critters.

richardsdm
All for the Hogs

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 am

I have to remind many of the dog/cat rescues in this area, as soon as it proves profitable for them to sell dogs/cats in the store they will do so. Petco proved that when they started selling rabbits again.

I have tried to tell dog/cat rescues that by holding their events at the Petsmart/Petco they are giving their support to the sale of animals. I have never heard a proper response to "Would you hold your events at a pet store that sold dogs or cats? Why are small animals different?" I always hear the excuse that Petsmart Charities gives them money or Petco allows them to do holiday pet photos that they make money at. Funny, I hear Lucifer has a similar deal.

Lola

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Hello, everyone
But to be honest with you I don't really see it as bas as everyone makes it seem. If you think that all the small animals at these stores are sick, then you are agreeing that they might need your help more than the ones that are healthy. I am a new piggy mom and I am also looking for a friend for my girl and I've been looking around for adoption and a lot of the shelters are actually selling these animals because the cost of adoption is higher than the cost of buying them at your local petstore and why wouldn't you buy the supplies at a petstore, from whoever you get them they won't be free and you will still have to pay some type of money. I see these stores just as every other business that is making money, and also as the sites that sale items for piggies they are trying to make money its normal. I actually buy all my supplies from a Petco and they have piggies for adoption, at no cost, and bought my girl at that same store and she is a healthy piggy. =)

Topaz

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 pm

" =) "

=(

Nope, you're not seeing the big picture.

Lola

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 pm

All I know is that if it wasn't for that petstore from which I got my baby girl I wouldn't have her with me right now. I might understand why some people here say that it's not good to buy animals but I think it's for the wrong reasons. The main idea to adopt a pet is to give a second chance to one that has been neglected and to give it a good quality of life (now that I agree with and that's why I'm looking to adopt)

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:12 pm

A shelter is non-profit, and a petstore is for profit, for one thing.

A shelter is under funded, and uses the bare amount of funds they receive to try and take care of the overwhelming amount of animals they get, but still has to put healthy animals to sleep because there are so many.

A petstore uses their overwhelming profits to purchase more animals from mills and backyard breeders to sell them generally regardless of condition. If the animals are really sick, a lot of times they will be put to sleep so the petstore just buys more.

A petstore will charge around $32 for a guinea pig.

Shelters charge as low as $3 and as much as $25 in my experience. The $3 guinea pigs are sometimes bought by people who go through the screening process and then use them for dog fighting or lab experiments.

That's why shelters have to charge more. It doesn't begin to touch how much it costs to run the shelter.

(that's a very simplistic interpretation, there are many other answers)

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Our rescue charges a whopping $10 higher than the local Petco or Petsmart price. Our average cost in medical care, food, bedding, etc is $250. Please continue to expound on how we're making money, because I think we might be doing it wrong.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:22 pm

Lola - shelters and rescues "adopt" the animals out to loving homes. They are not selling them like pet stores. The money goes back to caring for the homeless animals still at the shelter or foster care, and for rescuing more animals. Adoption fees don't even cover the costs of feed, neutering, medical care, etc.

The pet stores profit. They rarely seek medical care when they can order more animals from their pet mill for much less. Care is mininal. You're letting them profit from selling sick animals so they won't have to change.

They are there to make money off (sick) live animals and pet mills. Why don't you look those up and backyard breeders.

That's what you're supporting. Taking pigs from pet stores even if you don't pay anything is enabling them.

Helping the animals stuck in pet stores is more than just plopping down money unless you are going to buy the next three that replace your pig or all the ones in the pet mill.

Lola

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm not saying its wrong or that it's right what they do. All I am saying is that we're going too deep to not even buy supplies from them. I'm supporting them when I buy hay just as if I was buying it from a website that's only for piggies. I hear some people here saying they won't even buy hay from their local petstore because they don't want the petstore to gain any profit ( from hay or other supplies). That's basically what I am talking about. I am saying that it is wrong to sale animals when there's sooo many that need a home that I agree with. But not with not buying supplies from them.

meggielou

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:01 pm

I think you're misunderstanding the intention behind stores like Petco selling animals. They sell them to make money off of the supplies, not the pig. What's $30 for a pig when they can profit off of hay, pellets, bedding, bottles, etc. for years? Not to mention, the hay and pellets are poor quality.

By shopping at a store that doesn't sell animals, you can get a higher quality product, and you don't put money in the pockets of people responsible for neglecting animals.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Your money is going to the same place. I don't understand your reasoning. They make more money off selling supplies than live animals which are 'loss leaders' to them.

If it's the same as buying it from another online retailer, why don't you then?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:27 pm

When someone is uneducated and makes a "mistake" from purchasing a live animal from a petstore that is totally different from someone continuing to purchase live animals after they know better. It saddens me when people do not understand what the consequences are to their actions. You shopping at ANY store, petstore, grocery, or retail, tells that company that you support them and what they stand for. I personally don't think there is much difference between buying a animal and buying a bag of Carefresh, you are supporting the business and helping them earn money.

It takes planning, and a conscious effort, but for those of us who understand and see the total picture, we are the ones who in the longrun are making a difference. You can not be "pro-rescue" and yet purchase things or animals from a petstore. The two just do not go hand in hand. I personally don't EVER walk into a petstore. I don't support them, or their cruelity, and I don't give them my money.

I ask you to take the time and watch this video through the very end. Please don't turn it off, just watch and listen. Without our help...who can really make a difference, and who can these animals rely on???

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=RWE_web_edit_01_2008&Player=wm

"You can not change what you do not know, but once you have the knowledge, ignorance is no longer an excuse".----Marsha Weaver

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat May 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Just came from Petco. We check on their adoptable animals from time to time.

They have a new policy. They will no longer sell male bunnies that haven't been neutered...a step in the right direction. Allison asked them about guinea pigs and why the same didn't apply. The manager was at a loss for words; she answered by saying they're just going to do the larger animals for the moment. Most of their piggies are sold pretty young anyhow.

If only they would require the breeders to neuter, too.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat May 03, 2008 7:07 pm

The 'neutered' rabbits are still coming from Marshall's Ferret/pet mill though. They're pretty bad. They sell beagles, ferrets, rabbits and such to labs for research.

Most of the rabbits don't survive the vet tech's playing surgery on them at 6-8 weeks old.

Still selling rabbits is bad.

Shibboleth

Post   » Sun May 04, 2008 12:25 am

Lola, when you purchase supplies from a pet store that also sells animals, your money is used to support the inhumane conditions in which the animals in that store and others are forced to exist. You cannot control where your money goes, so it's better to buy from a place that only sells supplies.

When you adopt an animal from a shelter, the adoption fee money goes toward helping other animals in need. As GuineaPinny said before, shelters are nonprofit organizations. This means that it's often extraordinarily difficult for them to find enough money to provide for the needs of animals in their care, much less provide adequate accommodations for the additional animals who are dumped/abandoned every day. So, when you pay to adopt an animal from a shelter, the money you spend is used for something positive; that is, to aid in providing for the animals who need it most. In this way, shelters attempt to mollify the cruelty animals are subjected to by humans, not further the harm that is already being done.

To summarize: when you purchase supplies at an animal-selling pet store, your money furthers deplorable conditions for animals, even if that isn't your intent. It's different from paying an adoption fee at a shelter, because shelters use their funds to make the lives of animals better. Unlike a pet store, a shelter does not seek to exploit animals in order to make a profit. Plus, as several others have noted, it's likely that the supplies you might find at a regular chain pet store are poor quality and not very good for your pets anyway.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sun May 04, 2008 4:31 am

While yes, an adoption fee can make a bigger dent in your wallet than a purchase from a pet store, the adoption fee from a reputable rescue ensures that you are getting a healthy animal and little to no worry that said animal is pregnant.

Jennicat

Post   » Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 am

I've also seen several cases of people online who bought "neutered male" rabbits from Petco that morphed into unaltered females when they took them to the vet.

Jarratthead

Post   » Sun May 04, 2008 9:29 am

Selling neutered bunnies is still wrong. I got my bunny at our local shelter, a few weeks after Easter. There are tons of bunnies listed on Craigslist, especially is April and May. It's really heartbreaking. People get them b/c they are cute, and then don't want them. My husband loves his "IHOP", and treats her like a queen.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun May 04, 2008 10:39 am

I'm glad I asked this question. I see why not to buy animals at pet stores now. Before I did not think it was that big of a deal. I now order most of my supplies online, and try to go to stores that only sell supplies for the rest. I started to see the reasoning after I purchased Junior and he was sick. It was extremely difficult to get him healthy again, and very stressful on all of us. Elmo was purchased and then banned to a basement all by himself. Lexie and Allie were also purchased and kept in a small cage with no exercise at all. They were put in those exercise balls when the cage was cleaned. I think they were very ignorant, and not purposely mistreating them. All 4 are happy, healthy, and treated like royalty.

54 posts