Illegal to only have one cavy in Sweden

Anubis1179

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 am

So on another form I belong to we where talking about are pets, so I posted Pics of my boys and there cage and the one member from Sweden posted this
Nice that you have them next to eachother cause the cute li'l buggers can die from lonelyness.

For that reason it's actually illegal in Sweden to have a cavy solitary in a cage.
All I can say Is WOW. Anyone else hear of this before?

Feylin

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:35 am

woah. I'm sure google knows the answer!

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:40 am

I live in Sweden. It is illegal to sell just one guinea pig, if the buyer doesn't have guinea pigs already. So it is not illegal to have one cavy but illegal to sell one cavy to a "single cavy home".

Great law, but it also states that guinea pigs should have a salt lick!

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:47 am

I actually pointed that out in the translation I did of Lynx care-pamphlet.

If you google "jordbruksverket marsvin" - the government agency that made the law and the Swedish name for guinea pig (which you might have learned from IKEA...) the pamphlet is among the top hits!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:45 am

Interesting law.

I can't imagine you could force to have two pigs in a cage. What if they don't get along with others?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:40 pm

I found a place to slip this cool fact in!
www.guinealynx.info/.html#sweden

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:38 pm

The law mentions that there are exceptions, for example if the individual is aggressive and there is a risk of injuries.

The law is called DFS 2005:8 saknr L80, and can be found on Jordbruksverkets website.

It also states that minimum cage size is 3.2 square feet, wire bottom cages are not allowed and guinea pigs must have somewhere to hide. They must have access to hay and get vitamin C on a daily basis.

Good advice, except for the cage size of course!

Fourboys4now

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:55 pm

It sounds like there's mighty happy piggies in Sweden except for the cage size.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Any restrictions on the gender of said cagemate?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:15 pm

How come we don't have laws like that.

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Yes, it actually says that two, unaltered males should not be kept together. It also states that a female should not be kept with an unaltered male if her health is compromised due to repeated pregnancies.

No more than ten animals should be kept together and if grown animals are introduced the environment should be changed so that it is new to them both.

By the way, this law applies to all persons that keeps guinea pigs, for example private persons, breeders and pet shops.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm

We have had a thread on this before!

Here